Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

threads...

andrasITC

Hi, everyone!
I'm new in SolidWorks and I've got a problem. I can't find out how to make external threads. Can anyone help me with this?

I haven't actually tried one yet (because it's a waist of time) but you should be able to sweep a profile along a guide curve (helix) to create your threads. Consult you help pages on this.

Steve

andrasITC

It would be better if you created a cosmetic thread. It would require much less memory. Select the edge and under Annotations select Cosmetic Thread. Hope this helps.

From my D&M engineering manual / start a plane on the top of the object you want to have threads on if its a bolt then a plane on the end of the bolt.Select the circular edge andconvert it so you have that round profile on your new sketch, then click insert from the main menu click helix spiral from there you pick you direction the amount of revolutions you need that will be your path you then do a seperate sketch ofwhat you want your thread shape to be. Put your thread profile at 90* from the thread plane and add a pierce realtion to your helix spiral. then you use the swept boss bass feature/ your profile is the small shape that you need for your threads thepath is the helix you had created earlier. I recomend the D&M engineering manual with the 9 volt flash light to anyone who is learning SOlidworks.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back