Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Part Feature Inheritance?

Zero-Point

I am new to SolidWorks with some background in Pro/E.

I am designing a framing system using 1x1 in. square tubing. I am wondering what the best approach or workflow is to have multiple parts having the same general feature (in this case 1x1 in. square with 0.125" thickess tubing) but with different lengths.

Is there some type of relationship I can make to have all 1x1 square tubing have the same "sketch" feature but I can designate each a different length? In case I want to chage from 1x1 to say 1.5x1.5 without having to update ALL parts? I could just simply modify the "template" part.

How would most of you implement for instance the PVC tubing in the design libray of SW 2006(Design Library > routing > conduit > pvcconduit)? Assembling multiple pvcconduits of different length? Establish exactly what you want before modeling?

Thank you.

Open up just the part and next to your feature manager design tree tab is another tab called configuration manager.

once you create a new config go back in a modify the wall thickness tube size and extrusion length making sure to check the "this config only" box.From there you can make configurations in the assembly window.

You need to save out each part with a different name or the part you put in the assembly will update to whatever configuration the part is open to.

Figuring out configurations is a pain and since I am self tought I believe that there may be a faster/ better way to do this..

I build an assembly with all parts and mates and then supress everythign except what I need in the current configuration. then go back to your base config with everthing and create new config and supress everythign except what you need in that configuration.

Will some pro give some insight on how to do this the "pro" way? thanks, in the mean time thsi is how i have been gettign by, however I build executive furniture and my assemblies are rarely over 40 parts.

Edited by: skateboardkid

Rather then just setting up configurations as skateboardkid has suggested, this can be done using the design table, similar to ProEs Family table.

It runs using an excel spreadsheet and is an excellent tool. I have sent an example of how this works to a number of people on this forum to help them understand and learn the design tables. If you want, e-mail me at [email protected] and I can forward it to you. It is in SW2006.

The various sizes of tubes can be generated all from the one file as you have proposed using the spreadsheet. In the assembly, these different configurations can then be used again using the design table and also to suppress parts. I personally find it easier to use than ProEs method and have had a lot more success.

Michael

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back