Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Solidworks to 3DS

Thriller

Hey there,

Is there any reasonable way to get a Solidworks part-model in 3DS format?

I have tried saving it as an IGES file, importing it into 3DS Max and then saving it into *.3DS, but when I import the IGES file into 3DS MAX the model becomes different from the originel - surfaces are missing etc.

Anyone have a clue how to solve this?

Thanks,

Tonny

It is common to have problemswith Iges files created in one applicationwhen trying toopen them in another application. The problem stems from degree of accuracy used by the two different applications. Surfaces become un-trimmed and fall apart, or are completely lost.

First, make sure you have no errors in the surfaces you created in Solidworks. A good secondary check is to re-open the translated Igesfile in Solid Works to see if imported surfaces error out. Even if Solid Works doesn't mark imported surface as error in history tree, run diagnostics on surface, and fix any bad patches. Then, resave file as Iges using below instructions.

When you save as Iges in Solid Works click on the options button in save box and select Iges options that best match the application you plan to open file with. If possible, adjust Iges file settings in the application you plan to open file with to best match Solid Works output.

Hi Thriller,

I do most of my renderings in 3DS and found the best export method for meis to save the part or assembly file as a STL and then Import them into 3DS. In your Save As options in SLDWKS set the output to 'Binary', resolution to 'Fine' or 'Custom' (but this could make the file quite large) and uncheck the 'save all components of an assembly in a single file' if you need to apply different materials to different parts in 3DS.

Hi there,

Thank you both for your advice. I am not using my own computer at the moment, but I'll try things out this week. Thanks again :)

Okay, new challenge. The final 3DS file I am trying to make has to have textures, and these textures are needed as seperate image files to which the 3DS file refers. Is this usual business or not?

I am using Solidwork's archive of textures. How and where can I find the image files that it uses, and how do I know the 3DS file I am exporting from 3DS Max has a reference to these files?

If I understand you correctly, you want to apply the same or similar texture/material properties to your model in 3DS as you have in Solidworks. Normally you would apply a material to your part in 3DS using the 3DS-material editor and modify it to suit, but if you want to use a specific image map from Solidworks you can copy and paste the tileable image maps from Solidworks and place them in your 3DS 'Maps' folder. Then in 3DS using the material editor use the selected map in the 'Diffuse' setting and adjust the options accordingly.

The tileable maps in Solidwks can be found in: Solidworks\data\images\textures (jpgs).

Hope this helps.

I seem to be having problems selecting faces in 3DS Max. Is there no way to add textures in Solidworks and take them through the translation / importation process together with the object itself?

Textures from sldwks can not be imported as part of your model file, you must re-apply all materials/textures in your new scene in 3DS. There are a number of online tuts on applying decals to surfaces in 3DS that might be of help to you. Have a look at - 3DKingdom.org, 3DLinks.com, the123d.com, and there are many more out there if you spend a little time looking.

Hope it works out for you.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back