Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Replacing a part in assembly config.

Stugots

SW2006

I am creating assembly configurations in which there are 3 parts and each part has multiple configs.

My problem is, Iwant to replace one of the main parts with another completely different part without it changing in all the configs. Here is how I am attempting this so you can tell me what I am doing wrong.

In Feature Manager in the .asm I highlight the part I want to replace. File\replace\browse\"part"\enter. Now I realize there is a "ALL INSTANCES" toggleunderSelection, which I assume does what it says, but I don't have this selected yet it does it anyway.

I am still learning SolidWorks, so please explain in detail.
Edited by: Stugots

If you had 3 of the part in question in the assembly and then chose not to change all instances then only the part selected gets changed not the other two to the other part.
This command does not remove the part from one configuration it removes it from all of them. What you want to do is below.

If you want to change the part in just one configuration of the assembly (key here is one configuration of the assembly then 'suppress' the part in that configuration and add the new one, then when you go to the other configurations the new part should be suppressed and the old part unsupressed, if this is not the case then change the supression state of each part in each configuration to what you want.

Ben

Thanks for your reply Ben,

I thought of that process of suppressing the part. Unfortunately it isn't just one configuration, but multiple. Which I guess isn't that big of deal. I justknow it bad practice to have suppressed parts in asm's especially since the entire department will be using these models and someone is bound to see the suppressed item in the part tree and unsuppress it, or God forbid, delete it.

Ok then suppress the part then right click on it select 'component properties' in that window you will find a supression state radio button set now select 'suppressed' and then hit the button on the lower half of the window 'Change properties in: Configurations' and choose what configs you want the part to be suppressed in.

Next is for others changing the assembly and deleting it, do you have PDM works or other document management system this will take care of this issue but unfortunately to explain the details of this will take much longer than I have so unfortunately you will have to figure this out yourself. If you do not have PDM then just make sure there is a backup at all times that only you can access.

Ben

Hope that helps

Unfortunately the company I am contracting with is still in the process of implementing the switch to SW and doesn't have a PDM.

This solution of placing another part into the assembly and suppressing it doesn't seem like a fix to me, but thanks for trying.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Last thing I can think of then is to make unique assembly files for each configuration. But I am sure this is a crappy soulution for you, it is definately the last suggestion I would make to anyone

Sorry I was not much help

Ben

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back