Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

unknown files

Ron H

Every time I open a file solidworks automatically creates an identical file but with a ~$ at the beginning of the file name. What is this? How do I make it stop?.

I had assumed it was a backup file but it keeps happening even after setting the backup setting to 0.

Hello Ron,

I guess that these files are used in case of auto recovery?

Kind regards

Joop
Edited by: Joop

Hi Ron,

I didn't know what they were, but they get in my way, too, so I asked our SolidWorks guru, George. He said that they are a Microsoft thing, supposedly to keep track of what files are open in case the software or OS crashes, but that they don't always go away when the file is closed. He has chosen to turn them off (and now, so have I!).

To turn them off:

1. In Windows Explorer, go to Tools>Folder Options.
  2. Click the View tab.
  3. Under Hidden Files and Folders, select the Do Not Show Hidden Files and Folders radio button.
  4. Click Apply.
I hope this helps.

Audra

Hi,

Ok, but keep in mind that these files are just not shown now. They are still

there.

with regards

Joop

Thanks Audra,

That did the trick.

Hi Joop,
I know the files are still there but sometimes ignorance is bliss. If you ever figure out how to keep the computer from creating these hidden files I'd be interesting in hearing about it. Meanwhile I'll occasionally display them and clean up the superfluous files.

-Ron H

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back