Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

New User’s Question

Lucky Bob

I've been using various CAD/3D programs for a while (AuotCAD, VectorWorks, 3D Studio Max, couple other minor 3D programs), but I'm new to Solidworks. As a beginning project, I set myself to design some complex rings (as in jewelry.) I know SW isn't the best program for that, but I always like testing the boundaries of functionality.

So, my actual question: is it possible to make a sketch (3D, presumably) on a non-planar 3D surface (in this case, the outer surface of a ring.) I figured the easiest way to do engraving would be a cut (it's called Loft in VectorWorks, but I know Loft is something else in SW, so I don't remember the name), but I need a template along which to "pull" my profile.

Thanks for your time!

Dave

Bob,

You can wrap text on a surface. I believe this is what you're talking about. Under the help, look up 'wrap' and check it out.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back