Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawing a cut from Excel data

jlander82

Hi, I'm new to the forum here and have looked around for an answer to this question, but have not yet found an answer. I'm a university student working on a design project and would really appreciate some input, especially since I am better aquainted with Pro/E than with solidworks.

Here is my scenario: I have an excel file of a few hundred points (in polar coordinates) that need to be imported into solidworks for a complexcam profile. I'd rather not enter them all manually, so I am wondering if there is a way to take my excel data and translate it into a drawing so that I can cut out a profile from there.

I hope this is enough information... Any responses would be great.

-Justin

Hi Justin:

I had a similar problem, but it didn't use polar coordinates:

Create your feature setting up the dimensions you want to control. You may want to name them to make it easier.

Create a single configuration of your partusing Insert> Design Table. You'll then select those dimensions you want to control form the list. If they are not listed, you'll have the opportunity to select them from your part just before the table is created.

You'll then import your data as a single row (1 column for each dimension).

You mayhave to convert your polar dimensions into the Cartesian system, but if you're careful in how you set up your sketch, you shouldn't have to.

It may be tedious setting up your cut, but once it's done, you'll be able to quickly create many different variations (configurations) by importing the Excel data.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Edited by: SSLaser

Thanks for the reply SSlaser. I hate to ask this, but a team member and I have been messing with and reading about the design table and still can't quite seem to figure out how to set it up for what we need. I guess I need a little more clarification.

Here's a few more details regarding my project: What we are designing is a four wheel steering system for a formula sae car. We are using a cam to produce the counter/parallel steer motion necessary to the rear wheels. The cam setup we are using is a groove/follower.

We have 300 data points in excel right now which have been derived through a series of equations. What we need to do is get these data points plotted on an extruded disc, and then connect them via lines/curves so that we can create a cut based on the curve created from these points.

Is there some way to automate this, or do we have to place our 300 data points on the disc, and then specify the x/y coordinates in the design table for each? I've probably missed the concept here, but we're not sure how to create the cut based on the data that we have via a design table.

Sorry to be asking for the spoon feeding here, but I'd appreciate any clarification thatanyonecan give me.

Thanks!

-Justin

Hi Justin,

Go to Insert/Curve/Curve through XYZ Points then Browse for your excel file.

your data file can be in excel file or text file.

Good luck,

HellowVince ! I like your solution. But...

My SW (2007) do not accept Excel files.

Is necesary to SAVE (Excel file) AS... Text (Tab delimited)(*.TXT)

Is any settings to do ? (for accept directly Excel files) ?

Thank you !

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back