Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Smart component issues

Bartjuuuh

Hi there,

For my company I'd like to introduce the use of smart components (SW 2006) to simplify drawing. Unfortunately I can't find enough information about this in courses and on the internet.

For example: I'd like to make asteel plate with hole series and smart fasteners into a smart component, so that I can insert this into a weldment where then automatically the necessary holes are created and fastener length is adjusted.

Is this possible? And if so, how do I do it? I can only make itwork now with extrusions and such...

Sorry I am bit late in replying.

I tried it as follows
1. Make a plate with holes( call it plate1) and smart fasteners as on sub assembly. Let us call it Assy1.

2. Create another subassembly called Assy2 having above mentioned sub assembly Assy1 as one component, and other plate ( let us call it plate2 ) as another component. Create hole in plate2 using suitable references belonging to Assy1.

3. Next withing Assy2 window, define Assy1 as Smart Component as follows. Highlight Assy1 and issue command Tools -> Make Smart Component. Select the hole in plate2 made in step 2 as smart feature.

4. Now Assy1 becomes "Smart Component". It can be used to make holes in many other plates as per standard way of creating smart feature.

Please post details if you still face any difficulty.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back