Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Stepped Section Views in Solidworks 2005

drink_engineer

Does anyone have any clue about how to create stepped section views? I believe that I've followed the approach listed in teh help files (though I've found it anything but helpful):

1. Sketch your line prior to clicking on section view

2. Click on section view

smiley5.gif

At this point nothing happens. This is prob. very simple, however I've never had to do it before.

Any thoughts?

<DIV>Have you tryed the "aligned section view"?</DIV>
<DIV>Find it as a staggered section linetoolbar icon or fromthe drop down menu....Insert > Drawing Views > Align section view</DIV>

I did try that and I believe that it only works for two segment lines. For my application I'll require at least 5 segments.

For this type of detail, I need to show the section view of a number of hole profiles that are not aligned in a single row - picture 4 holes progressing laterally across a piece of material - each with a different detail and progressively further from the lead edge of the material (essentially a diagonal line of holes on a rectangular piece of material - each with a unique machining detail).

Any thoughts?

drink_engineer,

here's what you have to do. In a drawing, 1) Draw a sketch thru the holes that you want to section thru. 2) Right-click on an entity of the line and select chain. 3) Click on aligned section view.

From what I can tell, you just have to tell the software that you want to cut a section thru a selected chain.

Good question, I had to try that one to figure it out. But I got it to work okay.

Tate

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back