Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Double size dome

2006-02-24_075425_double-size_dome.rar

Hello everybody, I am a new user of solidWorks...I want to create a part like the one in the picture (The sldprt file is attached) Te shape is adouble size dome, where the base is the same, although the height is different.

My problem is that in order to use the dome command I extrude the ellipse base for 1mm and afterwards I have created the 2 domes by selecting at the two faces.

However, I wanted to create the domes in a planar surface with negligible thickness.

You could make your dome on one side by first extruding to X thickness,.... then making a dome, ....then trimming your initial X thickness,.... then all you would need to do is mirror your domed solid on your initial plane.

<DIV>OOPs</DIV>
<DIV>When I tryed my suggestion in 2006 Solidworks that last step about the mirroring doesn't work. But if you substitute that step with doing another dome feature on the remaining flat face after a trim operation then you can have a double dome with a single edge in the middle of both domes.</DIV>

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back