Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Solidworks on Mac

bjhughes

We're thinking of running Soildworls on Apple Mac machines using virtual PC. Does anyone have any experience of this?

We have a guy (he's a graphics designer) and he says that the processor in Mac's is not stong enough to deal with the3D models. Ihave never tried to do it, but it doesn't look good.

The emulation of Windows on a Mac has always been a problem...it just sucks up too much memory. Now that Mac offers a strongIntel CPU, running SWx should not be a problem with a powerful 2.0Ghz processor. The only spec flaw I've seen on the new Mac is the graphics card...I know its great and very powerfull but I'm sure it isn't on the list of approved SWx Video cards...but never the less SWx will still run.

I haven't used a mac computer, i tend to stay away from them for CAD softwares i herd its not capabable for that type of usage.
Mac are good for moderate usage such as internet microsoft application, music and video type of stuf.
If you try using mac and it works well let me know.

Hi, I've got a strong Mac background and a 2 year history with SolidWorks. I have one of the new Mac PowerBooks with the Intel Duo processor & 2 GB Ram. Here are my observations: 1) graphics card works great - I believe the Mac has 256 mb vram - but RealView doesn't work. 2) I wouldn't use Virtual PC. BootCamp is pretty good, but it's still in beta. Minor anoyances - some keyboard commands don't work - delete key, etc (BootCamp 1.1 was supposed to fix this, but it didn't) - but the right mouse button still works fine. My only other frustration was that there is no driver yet for an external monitor (in fact Windows won't even boot with the external monitor plugged in - serious issues).

So the PowerBook is my backup when I travel, but not my everyday machine. For everyday use I would wait until the next Mac OS comes out (probably announced in Jan at MacWorld).

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back