Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Beveling out a Cylinder [Noob]

Riboflavin

Ok guys, I'm a first timer here and with solidworks, an this is going to be hard to explain but what I am trying to do is take a cylinder which I have right now, and kind of scrape out a ring around it. Here is a small image of kinda what I am going for:

11kh.gif

Thanks for any help!

Yes, I suppose it would be similar to that. I will try that now, thank you for your reply :)

Edit: I played around with the tool a bit but can't seem to get it to do what I want, any tips?

Edited by: Riboflavin

Riboflavin said:
Yes, I suppose it would be similar to that. I will try that now, thank you for your reply :)

Edit: I played around with the tool a bit but can't seem to get it to do what I want, any tips?

take a class?
smiley36.gif

use the help built into the program, its very helpful.

I am in a class, unfortunatly the teacher knows less than I do.

I tried looking through the help file but I just became more confused on using the Revolved cut to create an oring groove :(

1) Create a plane at the center point of where you want your
cut.
2) On that plane create a sketch of the path you want your cut
to follow. From your sketch in your original post it seems if you
just convert the circular shape of the cylinder, you should be
okay. This will become the path that you are going to sweep a
cut.
3) On your front plane create a circle that will be the profile of
your cut. Select the center point of the circle and hold down the
control key and also select the circular sketch you created prior
(be sure to select the line that makes up that sketch)...
4) In the Properties Manager window that appears select
"pierce" to create a relationship between the profile circle and
the circle that is to be the path.
5) Select Sweep Cut in the features menu, selecting the smaller
circle you created as your profile and the larger circle you
created as your path. click ok. Just make sure you select
"Sweep Cut" and not just "Sweep"

good luck.

like this??

sketch a circle on one plane, extrude it

sketch your grove circle on a perpindicular plane

view temporary axis

revolve cut:

choose the cylinder extrude axis
then choose the sketch circle

Edited by: geargrabber

geargrabber said:
like this??

sketch a circle on one plane, extrude it

sketch your grove circle on a perpindicular plane

view temporary axis

revolve cut:

choose the cylinder extrude axis
then choose the sketch circle

The problem is it won't let me select the cylinder
smiley18.gif

Make sure you're in "normal" view...

If that doesn't work, try

1.creating the cylinder as a revolve feature

2. showing the sketch used to create the cylinder

3. constrain the centerpoint ofthe profile used to create the groove (revolve feature) to the sketch line that defines the cylinder OD.

you said you cant choose the cylinder? not for sketching, but for the revolve cut-- right?

this is what i meant by viewing temporay axis...

<DIV>There is more than one way to accomplish what you want. What you are referring to is the subtractive method by removing material...... but you could also achieve the same result by the additive process. For instance, first extrude a large circle, then extruding a smaller circle on top of the first sold, then extruding another large circle on top of your sold body.</DIV>
<DIV>The subtractive process can easily be explained as if your solid model was real aluminum sample and it was secured on a lathe ready for machining. A machinist needs to get the metal sample axis exactly centered with the lathe turning axis to achieve a concentric result. Then while making a groove in the material the cutting tool cuts into the metal at a right angle to the material. Solidworks "revolve-cut" operation works similiar to this analogy for you must establish a central axis to revolve your cut around. This central axis centerline and your profile of what you want to remove MUST be made on a plane which intersects your central axis already if you desire a concentric result. </DIV>

Just a comment on not being able to select.....We just upgraded to 2006 with the latest SP what ever it is. I have noticed that when axis are displayed is is somtimes hard to select other objects. I tried filters but it seems to be that if you don't need the axis it is best to not display them.

JMHO

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back