Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Need advice on modeling handle...

Darren Neupert

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to model this handle. i have tried lofts and extrusions and haven't come up with anything that satisfies.

Here's an image of what I am trying to model.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Just a quick thought having glanced at it. Have you tried a mid plane extrusion drawing the side profile of the handle? Then just round the edges with fillets or cut-extrudes.

Yes, that was one attempt. I found that the fillets went awry in the middle part... where your index finger would rest. I suppose I could try it again. It seemed to be at the time that would be the way to do it... and then... pow. lol argh...
smiley11.gif

Ok, next thought, create an extruded profile from the side up to the start of the radii/fillets (so that its smaller than the handle, just the flat part). Then go to the top or bottom and create the profileof the radius/fillet and sweep it down or up the surface on each side. Then sweep a profile across the face of the radius/fillet for that part that sticks out for your fingers on the front. Hope that's clear enough.
Edited by: cadgod

I haven't tried it yet. I want to try it now... but I have other projects that require my immediate attention. This is a personal project that I tool around with on my time.

I will post up something soon.

give me your email, ill send you this file. [email protected]

i know its not tapered/drafted the way it should be... im sure you could manipulate the extrude sketch to get it perfect.

basically all i used are fillets, easy 10min ;)

Edited by: geargrabber

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back