Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

getting guide splines to hit sketch?

Delinquent

I'm trying to loft a surface from 2 sketched curves. That works fine, nowI want to refine it a bit using a guide curve to shape the loft.

I have created a plane to sketch the guide curve on, but I cant get the ends of the guide curve to hit either of the curves I am lofting - I think I have but when I look at it 3D the ends are floating in mid air, meaning I just get an error every time I try and loft. Am I missing something really obvious here?! Is there not some simple way to make sure the guide spline snaps to the point where the sketch curves to be lofted intersect the plane of the guide curve?

This is in SW 2004 BTW.

Many Thanks!

Deliquent,

Try moving the guide curve sketch above the3d sletch, then attach the end points of the 3d skecth to the guide curve sketch. I don't know if this will work for what you're trying to accomplish, but it's worth a shot.

I believe the suggestion is to constrain the spline loft paths to the
loft profiles. This will certainly guarantee continuity but makes the
paths 'unborn' when trying to place 'pierce point' relations in the
profile.

However, I've found that using this technique and adding 'Derived
Sketches' of the design profile sketches to serve as profile sketches
for the loft feature is a good solution. Of course, they must be
underived to place the relations, but those relations generally take
care of most of the definition.

Edited by: rakish

thanks for the further thoughts there rakish. I have sort of had some success by adding further points to the loft paths where they intersect the plane, though it's not exactly accurate it seemed to work?! Still playing with it but getting there slowly!

In this situation I usually place the spline in roughly the correct area and then exit the spline screen.

Adjust the view angle slightly so you get a better perspective, select the spline point and then the curve you want it to intersect and select the constraining option 'pierce'.

Repeat for each point.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back