Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Using MS Excel for equation input

automate_proe

Does anyone know of a free plugin or software for using MS Excel to create variables/parameters that can then be used in solidworks part/assembly equations? Pro/ENGINEER and AutoDESK Inventor have this capability.

Why do you need a plug in ? You can create directly in design table these params. And if you have DT, why do you need equations ?

Or you can create these params in "File -> Proprieties -> Custom" menu. Then you can create a sketch as "layout" for your part or assy. In this sketch you draw some lines, arc, whatever and dimension these. Then you link these dimensions with declared proprieties. And use these dimensions in equations.

As about Pro/E and IV, you are joking : neither Pro/E or IV doesn't have so deep integration with Excel as SW have. Show me an example of Vlookup or other superior function working with Pro/E or IV.

Regards,

SWPriest

2005-10-27_143812_Solidworks_equations.zip

Thanks for the reply SWPriest. I would have to disagree with you on Pro/e's capability using pro/program and relationscompared toSW. SW is catching up though and if I had to choose from SW or Pro I would choose SW.

That said, could you please reply with some links/advice on using MS Excel to manage input variables/values referenced in SW equations. I've uploaded an image of the equations I have written for a part I created. I want to be able to control the values for - WIDTH, HEIGHT, DEPTH, diameter, and back_angle - outside of SW, preferably in MS Excel.
Edited by: automate_proe

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back