Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Using the Replace Components Command

daytona93

I don't understand why you cannot replace a part in an assembly with another part of the same name (even in a different directory). We have a library of standard parts in our system and when an assembly is copied to a new location, all the links to our network library are lost. I want to go and re-link all the lost items, but I get this error message. I wish that this little inconvienence would dissapear in version 2006.

I know how you feel. It's kind of silly that SW doesn't allow you to replace file paths using the replace components tool. Well, a quick fix would be to close the assembly then goto File, Open and locate the assembly file. At the bottom of the dialog box click on the refferences box. Locate the part you want to replace from the list of parts, double click on itand then select your new file location. It seems a little time consuming but it works well.

You could also use the SW Explorer to switch file locations.

Daytona93

What I use when copying an assembly is CopyProject. You open the assembly to useCopyProject, itwill copy everything associated with that assembly. All the Models andDrawings plus you can have it rename the copy files to a new name. There is a new version coming out soon. It is great time saver for me. Hope this helps.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back