Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to create a helix with a urved axis?

STEVEgao

Hello, there,

I have just solved the text cut problem from Andy and I have another one to bother your guys.

Normally, we can easily create a helix with a straight axis, such as screws or bolts in SW. Now i am going to do a helix with a curved axis, such as a telephone line. Any one can give me a clue to do it?

Cheers,

Steve

Thank DB's reply. I still can't create the helix with curved axis in SW. Instead, I use ProE to design and then import to SW as a body. Hope SW will make this function more easy for using in their next version.

I ziped your file, but it can't be opened by my SW. Anyway, you do give us lots of information.

Steve

I don't know if this will be of much assistance, being 4+ years after the original inquiry, but, SolidWorks has a twist feature in it's sweep command. If you place your profile sketch on a plane that will circumscribe the axis at the size you need, sweep the profile along the sweep path and choose the "twist along path" option under "Options" "Orientation/twist type". From there you can enter different parameters to get the shape/size you need. Hope this helps!

I never knew that and I'm sure I'm not the only one who was looking to know how to do that in SW.

Thanks
smiley32.gif

I'm no gun at this but how about you try this:

1. Draw a curved spline (or other curve), create a plane on one end.

2. Draw a circle (or whatever shape you want the helix to end up) on the plane and pierce with spline.

3. Draw a line on same plane as circle. Pierce one end with spline, ensure the circles length is slightly longer than the radius of the circle (so it extends out past it)

4. Sweep circle along spline, creating a solid

5. Use a surface sweep to project line around spline - use twist along path, you can set the number of turns you require.

6. Now use an intersection curve (Tools - Sketch Tools), select both the swept circle and line and you should end up with a helix along a curve.

7. Now just hide the 2 sweeps and your done.

Hope this helps, I think it's a little more robust than using the twist or deform tool.

Edited by: The SiK One

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back