Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Extruding shape off of curved surface

spacetoast

Hi there,

I'm a newcomer to SolidWorks and haven't had my training yet. But I'm trying to model a simple mold part. It is half of a mold for those fizzing bath bombs things that girls like to throw in the tub. I've figured out easily enough how to cut out the round half. What I'm now trying to do is to extrude a logo off of the inside, curved surface of the mold.

Below is a screen shot of as far as I've gotten. You can see the mold itself (3" diameter nylon stock), where the bathbomb half is cut out, the original sketch of the logo in red, and I managed to project a curve onto the surface of the sphere with the original sketch.

I'd like to be able to extrude that curve a little bit up into the cavity of the mold so that when a bathbomb is pressed, the logo is embossed into the bathbomb. I just can't figure it out for the life of me.

Thanks!
Curtis

bathbombmold.jpg
http://www.starfuzzband.com/holdingpen/bathbombmold.jpg

The quickest way that I could think of to do this would be to extrude the red sketch down to the surface. Then use another revolved cut with a smaller diameter bowl to remove the unecessary material. It is redundant but without spending a lot of time it was the best I could do.

Another way to do that is to extrude the red sketch down the the curved surface. Then offset the curved surface to what ever desired distance. Select the offset surface and use the "Insert - Cut - With surface" comand. You will have tooffset the curved surface before extruding the sketch, or just reorder the offset surface beforethe extruded logo. Works great for raise logos and text.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back