Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Ramp design

rcgoodfellow

Hello, I am hoping some of you may help me. I am new to SolidWorks, and I am attempting to do a pretty big project. Basically, there are 2 platforms, separated by 1 metre. There is no specified distance between the platform, I need to optimize this. We are not allowed to have edges, so we cannot have a straight ramp between the platforms, thus it is like an S flipped on its side. The angle must be about 11 degrees. I am taking the arc tangent for about 11 degrees and extending it 0.5 metre from the top platform, and then doing another curved in the opposite direction, and connecting the platforms. Underneath this crazy ramp, there is a truss extended directly from platform to platform. I am wondering if Solidworks can automate this process, and optimize it so the angle stays 11 degrees, but the horizontal distance between platforms is as small as possible. I realize this is very confusing, and I will try to clarify for you as much as possible.I appreciate any help you can offer me!

Ryan Goodfellow

Have you got a simple representation of what your trying to achieve i.e drawing etc. as the above is as you said confusing! some futher info and I might be able to help you!

I'll keep my eye on the forum mate

Good luck!
smiley17.gif

http://www.kingston-waterfront.com/ramp.JPG

Sorry, but it is the best I can do in Paint. Okay, x is the horizontal distance. I am trying to minimize that as much as possible, while still keeping the 11 degree gradient. The difference in height between the platforms is 1 metre. The two radii of the circles are equal (I realize they don't look like it). The circles will come off the top of the plat form with a tangent arc, spanningtheta degrees, and a radius r. The only thing is that since both radii are equal, and both will have an arc span oftheta degrees, and they must have a dy (change in y) for 0.5 metres per arc, so that the initial condition of 1m difference in height is met. I am looking to find theta, the arc rotation, the radii of the circles (which are equal), and the horizontal distance. All of which must satisfy the initial condition that the platforms have a 1m difference in height, and the total gradient of the ramp must not exceed arctan(20/100) degrees (about 11 degrees). Let me know if I need to clear anything else up. Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back