Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SolidWorks to Pro/E

mgnt8

I'm a Pro/E user new to SolidWorks. I've got an IGES file from SW that I'm trying to bring into Pro/E butfile size istoo big, around 87 mb. Its a fairly complicated part but nothing on it leads me to believe it would bea fraction of thatif it was modeled in Pro/E. I'm told that the SW default accuracy is 1E-08. I don't know much about SW but if I modeled a part in Pro/E with accuracy so low, it would be huge. Does anyone know if accuracy in SW parts or imports can be adjusted down for easier translation to Pro/E? Why is the SW default accuracy so low?

If your going from Solidworks to Pro-E, just save the file in Pro-E format. Solidworks has that option in the save as dialog box.

I've found that your SW translator doesn't do so well for models with more than a few basic features. STEP is a lot better. Model accuracy in Pro/E is pretty important but for SW it doesn't seem to be a big deal. There is obviously a fundamental difference somewhere. Anybody out there have any suggestions for a smoother SW export (i.e smaller file)?

I've seen 1E-8 stated a few times, asked a few times ...

Is that 1E-8 meters across the board; e.g. regardless of model units?

... and am still clueless. Anyone help a confused old codger?

I ussually just save files as proe format in solidworks (do you have the software) and dont ussually have any problems and this is with parts with 30+ features. If you dont i'd go with mgnt8 in saying the step should be the weapon of choice and quite frankly I find IGES a pain in the arse!

Paul Cunningham

not to sure about the accuracy issues will look into it!

I've been told that the SW translator saves only to 2001 or below. In my case, this option was worse than saving to IGES with surface gaps and distortion all over the place. Eventually, I solved my problem. It seems the source of the files included other reference surface data that somehow became layered off or hidden when it was translated. With that low accuracy and relatively large surfaces included, the file size ballooned when it was saved. I would have never know, but I sent it off to be translated by a 3rd party and they discovered it. Thanks, Translation Tech.

The best results I have seen have been by exporting Solid Works as a Parasolid file, particularly for large assemblies. We tried exporting as a PROE file into Wildfire 2 but found that not all of the part files came across (they did get created but were only a few KB in size and PROE could not retrieve them).

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back