Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Underdefined Part Location

paulsage

Can anyone tell me why a part that hasFace-to-Face "distance"dimensions from three different surfaces can still be underdefined in an assembly (i.e. still has a (-) in front)? I made sure not to use edges or points that would allow movement within the relation constraints. Can having multiple configurations make a part underdefined?

It has been a long time since I've used SolidWorks. I joined the as part of the campaign to get my company to go to solids. That being said, here is what my fuzzy memory tells me:

1) Sometimes models with multiple configurattions need to be regenerated a second time. Once to establish the geometry, once to establish the location. I'm sure that you've hit regen several times as you contemplated this.

2) Does either one of the faces in the model or one of the faces to which you are assembling disappear in one of the configuraations?

3) If one of the models in the assembly to which you are assembling (ugh--- that sounds awful) is underdefined, then any new model that gets assembled to it will also be underdefined. Look higher up in the model tree.

These seem obvious, but maybe I'll ring a bell here.

Good luck

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back