Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E images in 3D Studio Max and Maya!!!!!

pcoffman

Would anyone be kind enough to show me where I can view some images of Pro/E objects rendered in either 3D Studio Max and/or Maya? I am thinking about investing in one of these high end 3D programs and would like to see some actual renders created using Pro/E files.

Thank you in advance!

Phil

Phil,

Look at my web site www.michael-allman.com and look at my Gerard design portion. I do all my modeling in Pro-E and all my rendering in 3D Studio Max. I use either STL as the translation or I just bought a program that is an add on for 3Dstudio max that reads in Step files great. The imports are much better than the STL imports. The softwear is from NPower and is called Power Translator.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Michael

Ive been using 3D Studio for about 8 years now. Ive made several attempts at using maya. One cannot dispute the power of maya compared with any other package, but the learning curve is huge. I would assume that if you are trying to go from pro-e to some good rendering package that your not doing any complicated animation. I would have to argue that Max would be much easier to learn and get going on than in maya.

Thank you all for your help and thoughts on this matter. I am taking them all into consideration as I decide on which program to use. I am leaning more towards 3DS Max for various reasons; one of them being a friend of mine said he uses it more than Maya because it is more well suited for quick animations and he finds he can produce a quality result in a quicker turn around than if he went the Maya route. Maya can create phenominal results (the entertainment industry proves that), but from what I have read in my research, if you're wanting to create realistic renderings of engineering drawings done in Pro/E and you're on a tight time table, you can achieve your goal quicker if you use 3DS Max. I think they both have their strong points, now it comes down to really personal preference and basically how good you feel about the product.

Thanks again for your help and please continue to offer your thoughts or any links to renderings done in either program.

p

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back