Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

CHAIN MECHANISM

cjb53

I DOWNLOADED THE CHAIN MECHANISM FROM THIS SITE, HOPING TO ADAPT IT, BUT I CANT DRIVE IT IN A COMPLETE LOOP. IT ALSO CRASHES WHEN I TRY TO DRAG IT. IS IT ACTUALLY POSSIBLE TO HAVE GEAR AND CHAIN MECHANISMS ON PROe OR ARE THEY TOO COMPLICATED?

smiley19.gif

i have tried a lot in the past to archive this but it is not possible even with the latest proe wildfire 2 software.

so i made a thought... maybe PTC has not look in this problem deep because as we know the chain mechanism is not a mechanism indeed... so we can simulate the chain assembly with a single curve that represents the chain assembly...also about its strength and its behavior in our forces, if we want to see it in Pro/Mechanica, we just have to look in the manuals of our chain.

xcad

Hi cjb53

I have done a chain in 2001. If you read other posts, they would warn you too, that making chains is a very arduous task.

My chain was stable, and I drove it with a sprokey, using cams on the teeth and driving a number of lins of the chain.

Although a link can in theory move along a curve using one planar connection, and two points on a curve, the points get confused, and the chain can collapse back on itself instead of 'snaking' out.

To prevent this I added another point on a 'limiting' curve attached to the previous link. This menans the links can still move reltive to one another, but not collapse.

With mechanisms I have found that if you drag too quickly the mechanism defies the constraints, so just be patient!!!

I do have some files, but I don't like sending them to all and sundry. If you need them I can send them, but only on the proviso they don't go into the public domain.

Best regards

Dave

daveyk_belgium,

can you further explain in words and/or pictures

"To prevent this I added another point on a 'limiting' curve attached to
the previous link. This menans the links can still move reltive to one
another, but not collapse."

this part.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back