Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

wf 4.0 working directory at start up

nilmani

Hi,

I am using WF 4.0 student version running in network. Each time I load Pro/E, the default directory for File-->Open goes to C:\users\myusername\documents\. What configuration file on my local machine and what parameter do I change to make it default to a different directory, for example, to c:\myproemodels\ Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-
nilmani

<DIV =wordwrap itxtNodeId="276" itxtHarvested="0">I've got a 2 part answer for you. Setthe following config setting:</DIV>
<DIV =wordwrap itxtNodeId="276" itxtHarvested="0">
<DIV =wordwrap itxtNodeId="276" itxtHarvested="0">file_open_default_folder working_directory<BR itxtNodeId="277"></DIV>
<DIV =wordwrap itxtNodeId="276" itxtHarvested="0">This causes the 'file open' to go to your working directory. I use mapkeys to set my current working directory (depending on project I'm working on).</DIV>
<DIV =wordwrap itxtNodeId="276" itxtHarvested="0"></DIV></DIV>
<DIV =wordwrap itxtNodeId="276" itxtHarvested="0">Sounds like you're new to ProE soI'm predicting your next question.But I'll wait for you to ask before typing out all the "how-to's".
smiley1.gif
</DIV>
<DIV =wordwrap itxtNodeId="276" itxtHarvested="0"></DIV>
<DIV =wordwrap itxtNodeId="276" itxtHarvested="0"><tg></DIV>

I changed file_open_default .... to my desired directory and saved the file option in current_session.pro (in my trail directory) and then exit from Pro/E. Now I restart Pro/E and the working directory is still at the old
C:\users\myusername\documents\

You need to set this exactly:

<div style="margin-left: 40px;">file_open_default_folder working_directory
</div>
Do not change 'working_director' to what you want your working directory to be.

Second, in order to have it start up in that folder, find the shortcut you use to launch Pro/E (likely in your start menu or on your desktop) and right click on it and select 'Properties'. Now enter the start up directory that you want in the 'Start In' field. (Sorry, telecomguy, thought I'd just cut to the chase on this
smiley36.gif
)

Now, what you need to do is put your config file where Pro/E will read it each time. Find that 'cuirrent_session.pro' file, rename it to 'config.pro' and copy it into one of these places:
<ul>[*]The text folder of the installation directory where you installed Pro/E (likely in Program Files) (keep in mind, this may get erased when upgrading Pro/E)[*]Your 'home' directory in windows.[*]That directory that you spec'd for your start in.[/list]Now, you may want to reconsider using the 'start in' as the place you store your Pro/E files and instead make it where you store your configuration files (there are others). Then, use the 'File - Set Working Directory' command to change to where your part & assy files are stored after you start Pro/E. That works better.

Edited by: dgs

To answer your next question, yes, it is a little convoluted, but there is method to the madness and it works quite well once you understand it.

Just right click on the icon you use to start Pro/E, pick properties. Change the Start in directory to where you want Pro/E to start.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back