Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

rack and pinion arrangement

hamidzub

Hi,

i am trying to assemble a rack & pinion arrangement in which rack is to be stationery, however the pinion would translate due to motor attched at its centre because of relative motion. But i cant fix this as the mechanism requires the slider joint for rack.

Can anyone know how to fix the problem. or some alternative solution.

Best Regards

I have done this.

The slider reference joint doesn't care which component is moving.

The challenge is constraining the pinion so that it can only translate along the rack and rotate about its axis. You might need to create some reference planes/axes to which the pinion mates.

In my case, the pinion gear is in a sub-assembly which slides along the fixed rack.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help. Can u send me an example file which i can open in Pro/Engineer.

At the moment I am using Pin joint for pinion as it is mounted on the motor shaft. Do I have to use some other joint?

Unfortunately, I cannot send you the model to which I am referring without going through an NDA process.

I also used a pin connection to mount the pinion to its housing in the sub-assembly. The housing is the first component in this sub-assemby and as such isfixed (aligned to default planes)at that level.

In the top level assembly, the rack is the first component and is fixed (aligned to default planes). The sub-assembly is then constrained based on the housing component. Two planar constraints keep it in line with the rack, but free to move along it.

The rack and pinion gear is then created between the axis of the pinion gear and the free direction between the rack and the housing.

Can you help me with this image i have attached??
i want to give the rack a linear move by rotating that
gear/pinion.....19_010903_mechanism.JPG">

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back