Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

bolted component faces

Eldon

I often find that I'm trying to model an assembly of two components (generally different material types) that are connected together under bolt preload.

I would guess that in an application with high bolt preloads and relatively low inter-component forces, it would be overly conservative to assume that the load is transferred direction through the bolt, in shear. Rather, I would say that the contact surfaces would transfer the load directly due to friction. Modelling this behavior in pro/e integrated mode is a pain because I can specify a contact surface but can't specify a friction coefficient, which of course is no good. Also, contact surfaces generally use up a lot of computing time.

For these reasons, I generally just use an end weld idealization on the connection surfaces. Does this make sense to everyone?

Also, what is the difference between end/perimeter welds and rigid connections?

Thanks,

Eldon/.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back