Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Boy, do I feel dumb!

dhm05

You should have looked into the student version of Pro/e you can get it for $150 on JourneyEd.com I had used Ideas before and the tutorials that came with had me up to speed in a week. Im far from expert but I can peek around now.

good luck

dm

I also recommend the journeyed.com version. I am an advanced user and bought it to brush up on FEA but it has all of the 2000i2 functionality you will need to learn the program.

YOu can install it on a PC with 300Mhz's pentium or better and it will move along ok. It won't cook at 300Mhz but it will get you through the tutorials.

You should still get your unemployment unless you gave someone a round house or were sexually harrassing someone in spite of the fact that you were fired. Hang in there , you will probably get the unemployment check.

And no, 2 weeks is no where near enough to start using Pro-E cold turkey. Of my extensive experience, I have seen no one pick it up that fast. Even after 3 months you will probably not be rockin and rollin.

Integrity is a lost art form as well and I would not expect it from employers these days. Let me know if you find some.

Hang in there and keep up the fight. Be true to your own integrity.

goldlab

From the sounds of it, the owner of Fargo Automation got spoiled with having some good Pro-E users and frogot what it took for a new user to get up to speed. I have been using Pro-E for years, and I am still learning new things about the program. There is no way the a person who never used this could sit down and learn it, to the point of feeling comfortable in 3 weeks. And the head of this place should have pulled you in before this and given you some sort of warning.

As for the government.......Nobody can help you there!!!!!

Good luck. It sounds like you might be better off with a differant company.

Hang in there!!

DCS

That was a very crappy situation you were put in. If you still want to learn ProE in hopes of landing another job using it, I beleive you can get the student version for free now. At the last local ProE users group meeting PTC was giving away ProE 2001 student edition and a training CD from Cadtrain (www.cadtrain.com) and all they asked is you sign an agreement stating that you would not use it for commercial purposes. Student edition files can't be opened in the commercial version and vice-versa, but it should be great to learn on at home. I think PTC is still giving this away for free (maybe you pay a small shipping fee) Try and find something on their site. www.ptc.com

Good luck

Last year PTC was offering some sort of training to the unemployed. If I remember right you needed to be officially unemployed according to the State. You can try the ptc website to see if that program is still available.

Design 1-

Your rantings may be getting you into a HEAP of legal trouble! You'd better lick your wounds and get more marketable skills.

From my own experience, as your salary goes up employers aren't willing to pay to train you. In fact, MANY employers don't train ANYONE but they require a complete skillset when you're hired. Talk about short-sightedness and selfishness!

Tunalover

In my opinion 5 days is enough to aquire most important skills using Pro/E and to demonstrate to your employer that you are an employee worth keeping. PTC's own courses (fundamentals and advanced) last 5 days. Available books like tutorials from Roger Toogood, or even free stuff on internet (search tutorial + Pro/engineer) can all be done in 5 days (full time of course).

The behaviour of your ex-employer indicates that his Pro/E designers have learned Pro/E (if they didn't know it already) in the amount of time he expected you to learn. Therefore, he could not have done differentlly but to let you go. That is just the expectation level at that company. Obviously if he could have employed fast learners of Pro/E before he felt justified to keep that standard. For a slower paced envrionment I suggest that you get into a bigger company where the expectation levels are relaxed.

Vojin Jovanovic

http://attila.stevens-tech.edu/~vjovanov/

Pro/E is one of the hardest programs I have tackled. There is so much to it that it takes a lot of time to come up to speed and do things right. I took the Fundamentals course and Sheetmetal course from a PTC training center and still had to muddle through a few projects before I began to feel comfortable with the program.

You can, however, hack your way through within a week with a mentor to at least become somewhat useful. Experience with other 3-D programs is helpful but the older 2-D is not.

Check the web for Pro/E tutorials, there isn't a lot and most are sparse, only covering a very small part of Pro/E.

Don't bother with Pro Desktop tutorials, that program is very different. It was from a company PTC aquired and relabeled the software. Its a good program for its intended purpose but you will have to unlearn it to get proficient with Pro/E. I had this problem. Maybe I am just dense, other people may have a different experience. The Express version is free if you want to check it out.

Don't worry about ranting and raving, after 30+ years in engineering I havn't found 'black balling' a realistic issue as some people might presume. An apparent lack of intregrity of some managers is probably the only way they can survive their environment. You hight have just been the sacrifical virgin for another issue.

Best of luck in the job quest,

Regards,

J Perkins

I AGREE WITH JPERKINS, PRO/E IS VERY COMPLEX, HOWEVER ONCE THE FUNDAMENTAL ARE LEARNED PRO/E BECOMES RELATIVLY SIMPLE. TO SELF TEACH PRO/E FUNDAMENTALS WITH IN FIVE DAYS IS NOT A REASONABLE EXPECTATION. IF YOU CAN GET SOME FORMAL TRAINING THRU PTC IT WOULD REALLY SHORTEN YOUR LEARNING CURVE.YOUR EMPLOYER SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST GIVEN YOU SOME IDEA OF WHAT WAS EXPECTED AS FAR AS GETTING UP TO SPEED WITH PRO.

GOOD LUCK S. HERBERT

It is Inconcevable that an employer with any knowledge of Pro could ask a completely inexperienced person to even attempt to start a project! A person new to Pro should be immediatly sent to training or placed under a mentor. Even then they should be given light duties in Pro until they prove their skills. There is nothing worse than having to fix a bad users mistakes, especially if they are implimented into I-link or PDM.

Pro/E is an art and a science in itself! Though you can learn basic skills in a matter of minutes, it takes a lifetime to master! I have been on Pro/E for 7 years, I started on version 12. I have a natural knack for all things Mathmatical, and Mechanical, but I still have much to learn.

..... As mentioned, .I agree and fully understand your situation and have been there myself in a similar fashion.

Tunalover does have a point however, There was a legal case on the news tonight about Metris Corp going after(Legal suit) an employee that posted defamatory information on the internet. You must be very careful about this. Businesses have bigger and better lawyers that us joe's in the trenches. If the dreg you worked for lacked the integrity to pursue a legitimate learning curve, chances are he won't find showing him his errors on the internet enlightening either. Even if your remarks are true (which they probably are) it is better not to state specific names of people and ID's of companies that you have issue with.

Focus on the future, ain't nuthin the past can do for ya but educate you for the new course. Or, if you let it, it can make you very bitter.

Good luck.

goldlab

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back