Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assembly Structure

ralphyorker

I am new to Mechanism Design using ProE. I have a couple of very good books, so it has helped. My question is, Can you had a Mechanism is a sub-assembly and have it work in a higher assembly? I am working on a cover package thet has several sub-asseblies making it up. I have assemblies inside of assemlies inside of assemblies, you get my point. I made a simple piano hinge assembly, used it in an assembly of a door. Now I'm adding the door assembly to the top assembly. It works great at its lowest level, but by the time I get to the top, it doesn't function correctly. Is this how ProE works? Are you expected to do all mechanism functions at one level??

Thanks for some help.

It should work between levels, I've done this before.

It could be a problem with how you've assembled the sub-assembly in the next level of assembly.
Edited by: michael3130

When you add connection between different bodies you need to add a new set of connection for each separate body you constrain together.

Mechanisms made at subassembly level will definately work
in upper level assemblies. Just need to be very careful
with mechanism constraints. Always make sure that
constraint sets are only between two components, avoid
'rigid' and 'general' constraints unless absolutely needed.

Hi Ralph,
Did youfind a solution?
I have lots of those problems.
For example a subassembly with a mechanism which is working. When I assemble it into my assembly (referencing only the base part of the subassembly) the mechanism no longer works.
Another example: A mechanism with a gas spring as subassembly, created some time ago works. After opening and saving again it works no longer...
I realy was carfull creating the connections. My impressin is that the mechanism functionality has been more robust in WF2 than in WF4.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back