Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

"Painted" Text On Surface

reg2117

Forum Members,

Can anyone suggest a method for "painting" text onto a
surface?
I have created a revolved surface and a separate text
sketch. I can wrap the text onto the surface which produces
a set of closed datum curves on the surface. I would simply
like to fill in these datum curves with a different color.

Thanks.

Hi Reg2117,

Go to Color and Appearance and select "+" and select your color of the text. In the same box, change the assignment from "Part" to "Surfaces". pick your surfaces, then pick "oK" then "Apply".

hope this is what your looking for.

Lou

Lou,

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately, I want to color only
the part of the surface bounded by the closed datum curves.
Your suggestion, as I am understanding it, colors the
entire surface. Please let me know if there is a prompt for
bounded areas on surfaces.

Thanks.

Don't know if this will work for curved surfaces, but works great on flat. If not you might think about a decal.

You have to use the Fill command in the Edit menu to fill the characters first. These are then syrfaces which you can color as Lou suggested.

Be careful. If you want to change the text after you make the fill, delete thefills of those characters first. If you don't, it isn't pretty.

Create an offset surface. Color the quilt. Extrude your text as type Surface > Cut and pick the offset quilt to trim. Now the remnants of the surface still have set color and part has its same color.

Michael

Why can't ProE simply split a surface by curvean keep it like that when solidifying ...
There is no way in ProE to show e.g. text on a productlabel as black on white in the same plane (not using a surface floating above the geometry or using raised/lowered text...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I tested the offset surface recommendation of mjcole_ptc. If the surface is
offset by 0.00 (which is what I need to have the text on the surface), it is
ambiguous if the quilt or surface should display and the surface looks crappy.
The cuts work correctly.

I ended up going with the recommendation of flwad and using a decal. It seems to
be working for this application.

We used to just do a datum sketch on the drawing to show where text would go. Of course that only worked on flat surfaces but if you need exact size to specify on a drawing it worked great. For curved surface I would have just projected the sketch onto the surface using edit/project curves. Of course you can't do a hatch fill with that but it is good enough to specify for engineering work! It is after all Pro Engineer not Pro-Graphical Artist!

No_Duh.jpg

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back