Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

naming convention for spools

design-engine

I have named off a number of spools (not including RSD spools that might come in with excel)

For example i have a red 16 gage wire....

16_red_awg.spl

what do I call a spool where there is a cable with three 16 gage wires inside red - cyn - grn ?

Bart,

We define an internal part number for our wires and cables. We have a spec that defines how cables are made. We name our spools by internal part number. Without that, I guess I would code my cable spools to make selection as easy as possible.

Something like: cbl_rnd_600V_3cond_16g.spl or cbl_flt_300V_10cond_22g.spl

Obviously, cbl is for cable, rnd or flt is for round or flat cable, followed by max voltage, conductor count and AWG. If multiple gages are used in the cable, you may want to add quantity of each gage (cbl_rnd_600V_3cond_2-16g_1-14g.spl). You may be concerned with insulation type (IPVC, TEF, SIL) and temperature rating so that could be added. At the end you may also want to add special characteristics like armored or shielded. File name order should be in the order of importance to you.

My feeling is that color would play little significance in a multiple conductor cable spool name because in most cases I really don't care what color wire I use as long as I document the color in my cable drawing. The spool file would define what colors are there. Unless, of course, standard colors are required like in a power cable (white, black, green) where I might add pwr to the spool name.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back