Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Question On Cabling

Chiller-N8

I am currently taking a cabling class and the question came up about using cabling and "flexible components". Has anyone had any experience in this area? i would greatly appreciate and assistance.

I am sure I used this recently...
To represent a part that was used in a couple of places but a wire soldered to it came in from different directions (all in one plane).
I turned the CSYS into a flexible feature and specified the angle for each alternative position.
Got to remember that the part needs to be assembled as a flexible part, if you have already put it in updating it will not bring in the flexability, you have to remove it and assemble it again.
Then there is just the usuall messing around with the flatend cable to get it on to a drawing. The bonus is that you can drag in the manufacturing param's (e.g. pin data) from the model without fudging.
This was in WF4, not sure if it works on others.

Ian.

I was thinking of converting points in space and reassemble the geometry with respect to those points. Move the points around and you obtain a different harness with a slightly different number.

Good to have you on here Ian.
Edited by: design-engine

Actually I have good news about availability of flexibility in cabling.

I used to try it with Wildfire3.0 but it didn't work. However with Wildfire 4 it works.

We have sensors that have pig tails. In several places in the assembly we use them but the routing of its pigtail need to change based on wherethe sensoris located. So you wish to have a feature that will let you keepthe assembly name tha same but change the model-here the routing.

So if you add a one or two locations by OFFSETbetween the sensor and the connector at the end of the pig tail, you can control the routing of the pig tail by assigning flexibility to these locations.

The second time you are assembling the sensor, ProE asks you if you want to use the flexibility of the assembly, approve it and change the dimesions of the offset locations.

In model tree you will see the same names but different models on the screen.

Even if you try to change the original model, theversion assembled with flexiblity does remain the same.

I suppose that if you wanted to utilize flexibility functions you would do so with the curves and surfaces. Your network ops can adhere to that geometry in effect offering the flexibility.

In this case once you have an offset location that gives you 3 degrees of freedom you don't need to use curves or etc.

Thanks Ian for the info. I will give a try and let you know if I was able to complete my task. I apologize for the delay in my response, I have been out for some much needed R & R!

You're welcome.

You'll probably need some more R & R after you've been useing Pro/cable
smiley2.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back