Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Student Edition

spadez

Hi,

Im a student so they have recommended I use the student
edition, but quite frankly it doesnt do enough. It sounds
like I cant extend it with the advanced rendering
extension, I cant plot without watermarks and I cant even
move my files to a commercial version.

Is there a version I can buy at a discounted price (because
im a student) but has more features? Im happy to pay more
than I would be for the student edition because I dont want
to be that limited when using the program.

With the Student edition you can save your models out as ProE Neutral file format. Then you will be able to open them on the Pro Version and use the feature recognition not available in the student edition.

If you can find a school nearby that has the Educational Edition, I've heard that there is a process to convert educational into a version that can be opened in Pro or vice versa. Exporting as another featureless solid type IGES SAT or STEP from a student edition of one software and bringing it into another software it won't be able to tell it came from a student version.

I have a copy of the student edition and have used the trial version out now for Wildfire 5 which is pretty sweet. the nice thing about using the same version student, tryout or Pro is that it is compatable with the same type of software.

It used to be and still is on SolidWorks that the student editions could open the Professional version even on ProE the only catch being that once it was saved it became student edition. and could not be reoened on Pro version.

The Neutral File will help you get the data over to the Pro Version and go from there. One drawback to the student edition that I just hit again was the lack of trailfile. if it crashes you can't run the trail back. Educational University editions have trail files and they can be used like I once did to save a student who went 3 hours without saving despite my warnings. Luckily for them I had done a co-op at PTC in the QA dept and knew a ton about how to use trailfiles to replay a session and insert the commands to save periodically.

If you want to have files you can use on a Pro version try to find a PTC reseller or training company and ask if you could use their computers when no classes are scheduled and bring along a flash drive.

Even the tryout versions 30day license disables the advanced functionality like Expert Framework and Mold/Cast Design.

Michael

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back