Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Fan Out Useless or Usefull?

bforbitter

Could the Pro Cabling caretakes please suggest when will we be able to see a nice FANed Out cable in flat harness. I mean how hard it could be fix what's goin on in PRO/Cabling since its birth.

I am assembling connector to the shortest wire and that mean "all" other wires are longer..
smiley11.gif

But still wires can't reach the entry port... and this is ridiculous. I know there have been earlier posts about forget about fanning out problem.

I want to know isPTC is even aware of this problem.

smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif

Once you're complete fanning out the harness the shortest cable will be attached to the connector and the longest cables should also be attached. They will have waves in them (which shortens them) to make them link up. You might be skipping some steps if you're not getting all the wires connecting.

yes.... frustrating. Now try to explain to your manager that the drawing should look like that. Where some of the wires are not touching. ;)

As you fiddle with the fan out tool, re defining the connector ... you find more and more tricks to make the flat look like you want.
Edited by: design-engine

I don't understand why you need to show each and every wire fanned out rather than just one bundle to one connector.

Let the wire tables take care of the restsuch aswhich wire goes to which position in the connector, what pin to use, what gauge is the wire and so on.

That is what the harness manufacturer need, he looks at the formboard drawing for only how to layout and for the segment length information as far as I know.

Hi Bart

Ali

Thanks for the replies.

Ali,I know it's not necessary for the flat harness to look well fanned out. Ofcourseat the moment it"solves" the purpose.

But when we are dealing with so intelligent software product i dont understand what's holding back PTC to add some sort of script in ProE software and make cables fan out nicely.Thanks anyway Ali.

Todd, definately i think im missing something.

Bart, I have to offer a carton of beer to make him understand this.

bforbitter,
I totally agree with you! I have the same problem as you with the fan out. I also have problems when I simply try to move cable segments while in the flat harness mode which causes errors. Its really aggravating.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back