Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Search path mystery

Bigadz

I have moved some assemblies from one system to another and I cannot for the life of me get the search paths to work.

I have put in the config.pro to point to the search.pro and entered the sub assembly folders to look in and it simply isnt.

The format of text i am using is in accordance with what it needs to be and in the config I have pointed to the search.pro from the root.

Any suggestions as this is doing my head in!

Questions
- did you verify your search_path_file statement been read into your config (current session ) ? If not, the load sequence is
-- load point\text
-- home directory
-- start folder
- special characters or blanks in your paths ? Remove them !
- did you name each folder in your search.pro in a separate line ? Search paths are not recursive
HTH
Reinhard

Sounds like you have things set up right. One thing to look for is spaces in paths, that throws Pro|E for a loop in some cases. You may be able to put quotes around the path to fix that or you may have to remove the spaces from the paths.

The load sequence that ReinhardN refers to applies only to config.pro and config.win files, not to search.pro files. Search.pro files do not load automatically. Pro|E will only load your search.pro file if you specify the full path to the specific file using the search_path_file option in your config.pro file.

Thanks for your responses...

I do have spaces in the path, I have tried putting quotes around them as well, does this mean I have to go back and rename all folders from the root which have spaces?

Perhaps I should clarify the setup a bit more in simple terms:

In the to level assembly folder I have my config.pro and a search.pro.

The config.pro reads
search_path_file "location to search.pro from root C:\ etc"

The search.pro looks at sub folders present in the assembly folder so:

search_path "root to specific folder C:\~\~\~\~\PARTS"
search_path "root to specific folder C:\~\~\~\~\FASTENERS"

Im not entirely sure what Reinhard means, do I need to look at other config file options to check it is loading correctly?

It sounds like you have the search_path_file option set properly, but this statement may reveal your difficulty:

Bigadz said:
In the to level assembly folder I have my config.pro and a search.pro.

If your 'top level assembly' folder isn't in one of the folders that ReinhardN listed, then your config.pro isn't going to load automatically when Pro|E starts.

Do you need to browse to your top level assy directory when you fire up Pro|E, or it automatically set for you? If it's automatically set, then it's your 'startup' folder and it should load automatically.

You can easily check if it is loading by going to tools > options and taking a look at the top of the options dialog box. The drop down in the upper left lists all the config files loaded into that session. If the config file in your top level assy folder isn't listed, that's your problem. You can load it manually from this dialog box, or move the files to one of the places that ReinhardN mentioned soo it willl load at start up.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back