Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E+Isodraw

TechWriter

Hi, I just registered and I have a question to anybody who has experience with producing CAD drawings or assembly for export to IsoDraw. I am not sure if I am placing this in the right spot, but since I use mostly assemblies I put it here.

As a Technical Writer I don't produce the CAD-drawings myself, but get them from a designer or through Windchill/Productview.

When converting the drawing/assembly to 2D in IsoDraw, prompting the program to make a thick/thin line conversion, the result is more or less useless for technical illustration purposes. The lines become jagged and the vector points are scattered all over. Plus there is a whole lot of unwanted lines, things that should have been caught by the "remove hidden line" process. In short, I would produce a much nicer illustration myself in Illustrator.

I have tried updating my software. I have went around ProductView alltogether and used files straight from Pro/E, adjusted my conversion process (settings). Even my supplier has put through files through their system and still, the problem persists although it's gotten slightly better.

Ideas anyone?

I have had similar problems in the past. What I dois do a "save as" in pro-e to a dxf then open it in autocad make sure my lines are right then do the illistrated drawing.

lfh

We found the best way to use Isodraw with ProE is to save the ProE models as Product View Files (.edz). The files then use less memory and Isodraw has less information to process. Make sure your CAD designer has his graphics settings in ProE set to max. (Edge Quality = Very High), (Shading = 10) (Small Surfaces = On)before he creates the product view files as you will have jagged edges when you import them into Isodraw.

Carl

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back