Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

several materials in one part

2ms1

I would like to make 9 parallel tubes like shown below. It is very convenient and accurate to do this with a VSS as shown in the first picture. The problem for me is that I need to be able to render the parts I make this way with each individual tube having a different color/material.

When I open the part created with this VSS in Hypershot, I try to select one tube and give it a material, but all nine tubes are given the same material (like in 2nd pic).

Is there any wayto accomplish the same thing as in pic 2 but with the tubes each having a unique color? I really do not want to have to make 9 separate tubes for each one of these places where this thing is and organize them all so they are spaced right etc

Edited by: 2ms1

I see it's Hypershot time :D

To assign different materials in Hypershot to different surfaces of a single part, you have to define different colors for each surface. In your example, you should apply, within Pro|E, a different color appearance for each tube.

Paolo

Yes, it's work all weekend to try to get a design proposal done and rendered by Monday time :D Thank you for all your help.

I wish I had commercial Pro/E instead of University Edition so I could just upload the file rather than try to explain...But basically it seems like it is not possible to change only the color of one tube without changing the colors of all of the tubes at the same time(in Pro/E). When I select one surface, for example like shown below, if I then change the color setting it makes all of the surfaces in the whole part change rather than just the one. I figure this is because all of the tubes are creates with one VSS. However, I do not know a good way of making the same thing out of several different features rather than one. Is it clear what I mean?

Seems that you are applying the color to the "part" rather than just the "surface"?? (by looking at your pic...)

Set the selctionfilter (under "assignment" ) to surface instead of "part" and your fine.

//Tobias

It doesn't matter that the surfaces were created with one feature (VSS). They are all unique and you will be able to apply a differnt material colour to each surface prior to export. Note that it desn't actually matter what these colours are. Hypershot assigns a material type to all identical coloured surfaces.
Edited by: pjw

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back