Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

parts won’t render - they just disappear

2ms1

When I try render the part shown below using Hypershot plug-in (or even when I try to open the .prt file it in Hypershot stand-alone), I just get a blank environment as if the part was invisible like wonderwoman's jet. Well, there's a tiny little disk that seems to correspond to one of the end surfaces (the two flat faces), but that's it.

Anyone have any ideas why this would be? The part is a solid VSS that's just drawn along a helical trajectory.

I don't seem to get any answers at Hypershot forum so I'm wondering if it's something about Pro/E accuracy or some weird thing like that?

coil.jpg

Edited by: 2ms1

Have you tried saving the part in .OBJ Wavefrot format and loading it in Hypershot? Does it work? Can you post the part file?

No I haven't what's the OBJ format? As in, what are the pros and cons of using that rather than opening .prt files in Hypershot? This part, by the way, is in a giant assembly. When I aopen the assembly just about everything else appears in the scene just great, it's just this coil is missing.

I'm on educational version of Pro/E but I'll see if I can convert to commercial and upload. Thanks for your help. I'll try to uploaded the part now.

Edited by: 2ms1

I don't seem to be able to make an OBJ out of it because it is a part created from within an assembly, so there aren't any datum planes or CSYS or anything within the part itself that the OBJ Saveas is requiring me to provide.

Is there a way to make an entire assembly an OBJ? I don't seem to be successful in doing that. I'm still interested in hearing about the pros and cons of using OBJ files instead of .PRT files anyway in case I do eventually figure out how to create them. So if you can tell me more about that then please do.

2ms1 said:
I don't seem to be able to make an OBJ out of it because it is a part created from within an assembly

This part is solid geometry? Anyway, exporting to obj has the advantage that you can see the tasselation while doing the conversion, and in my experience with Hypershot demo versions it better retains materials definition.

You can easily convert an assembly, just do "save a copy" from the assembly, select Wavefront OBJ, then in the window that appears select "all" to add all parts and a plane for UV mapping (select any assembly plane. You have to specify two values for the precision, put 0.001 for each, the system will round them to the lowest possible value.

Let me know if you succeed, doing this you should be able to see the triangulation of the model.

Paolo

My assembly is a pretty standard bunch of solid parts, but I can't seem to select anything. I get the interface shown below, but when I try to select things nothing happens. Am I insane? What's going on here?

No matter how much I click on things I still have the "Select 1 or more items" popup on screen. And when I select "All" nothing at all happens either.

Hmmm you should be able to select parts then middle-click to accept, then you are asked to select a datum plane for texture mapping. The other way you can try is click the "All" button, then a datum plane, then Apply or Ok, I don't know why it should not work :O

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back