Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Installing proe2001 on Xp proffessional, setup.exe won't run

hodousfw

Hi All,

I get a brief hourglass and then nothing when I try to run setup.exe from disk, and on my C: drive. I installed a used LAN card, configid /all shows a MAC address. I just upgraded from Windows Me to XP Professional. I tried reinstalling XP, and entering a fixed IP address, didn't run. The disk works fine on another machine also using XP. Should I buy a new LAN card?, could I have a permissions problem writing to my C: drive in XP? Any suggestion would be very welcome! Thank you very much!

instead of double-clicking on the setup.exe icon, go to the WinXP Start Menu and select Run. Type in E:\setup.exe -ptcsetup and click OK. You may have to change the letter of the drive for your computer. This uses PTC's setup engine instead of Windows setup. I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try.

Jason,

Thanks for your reply. I was able to solve the problem by deleting the winbootdir line from the autoexec.bat file. Updating from Windows 95,98 and Me to XP leaves this relic behind causing the incompatibility with the NT/2000/XP installation. This fix was listed with PTC's online help, the next ProE release (wildfire?) will automatically address this issue. Thank you again,

Regards,

FWH

Jason,

Thanks for your reply. I was able to solve the problem by deleting the winbootdir line from the autoexec.bat file. Updating from Windows 95,98 and Me to XP leaves this relic behind causing the incompatibility with the NT/2000/XP installation. This fix was listed with PTC's online help, the next ProE release (wildfire?) will automatically address this issue. Thank you again,

Regards,

FWH

I had the same problem but there was no line on autoexec.bat that had the winbootdir line. I was able to solve this case, changing a value on a short line in pro-e batch file (specified on path of shortcut) :

if not %winbootdir% == set mc=i486_nt

the value mc was modified with the corresponding above.

The original was mc=i486_win95

If you have problem in installing Pro/ENGINEER on Windows NT/2000 and XP machines, check the following items:

Ensured that correct CD is used.

Is there any Antivirus program? Stop all the related services, front and background.

If the OS was upgraded from Windows 95/98 /ME, remove the environment variable winbootdir.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back