Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Material/Colour profiles?

m-d-e

When modeling a product with many parts I assign the parts different colours. It's easier to see collisions and how the product is assembled and so on.
When showing the client the product it's better to use the final colours instead of a child's lego assembly I often work with.
So, instead of changing the colors on each part individually for every client viewing it would be great to just change colour profile. Similar to style manager where you can save different profiles with parts either shaded, transparent or wireframed.

Maybe this post should be in the wish list but I'm hoping someone has a solution for this. If not the one described above then perhaps something that does the whole colour changing procedure easier.
smiley1.gif

yes i agree it would be great to have such a capability in our Pro/E, i mean some colors statusmanager or something likethat to make it easierand moreuser friendly.It would be atleastgood step to close up to color definition and management similar tosoftwares like Maya or 3DS in which are functions like render layers or color layers and so on,this would push us somewhere else again.

But something similar we already have in ourPro/E. You can just assign your colours to each component in assy(or in part as well)and then just save this color profileor actually colorpalletein *.dmt file.

To save color palleteclick on Appearance Editor / File / Save as

Since you have saved your colors you can change colors of each component just for a while(for presentation, renderor so)and then justopen that savedappearance to change allcolors back.
Edited by: Miko

have you ever asked your clients/customers what they think? If differing colours make life easier for You, assemblies easier to understand etc, then Maybe the customers prefer it too ? I understand what You mean though, the final stages should involvea "rendered" look similar to what Your customer is hoping for... but for that I use Hypershot images
smiley17.gif

Miko:
Ah, I didn't think of that. Thanks! It does the job, although as you said, it could be more user friendly.
smiley1.gif

[-Skint-]:
I do show some customers the rainbow coloured assembly. It depends on the customer and if he/she is passing the images on to less understanding colleagues.
smiley2.gif

Edited by: m-d-e

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back