Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Problem Running ProE 2000^i2 on XP

jdmack

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I hope you can help me. I just installed ProE 2000i^2 student edition on my XP machine. When I try to open the program, the computer thinks, then nothing happens. I believe that I need to change the configuration on OS in order to run the program. If anyone knows that procedure, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

J

Hey All,

I found the solution. It is as follows:

A. If your machine was recently upgraded from Windows 95/98 to Windows 2000/XP the environment variable winbootdir may be incorrectly set. Normally this variable only exists on Windows 95/98. However, if the user upgraded from Windows 95/98 to Windows 2000/XP the environment variable is preserved causing Pro/ENGINEER to pick up the wrong OS type; the software then fails to start.

To address this issue the user must delete the winbootdir variable.

The following procedure can be used to unset the winbootdir variable:

1. Right click on my computer on your desktop.

2. Select properties.

3. Select the advanced tab at the top.

4. Select Environment Variables.

5. Highlight winbootdir Variable in the System variables window

6. Click the delete button.

7. Click OK

8. Click OK

Alternatively, users can change the Pro/ENGINEER startup command to ignore

the winbootdir variable. The following procedure can be used to

modify the startup script to ignore the winbootdir variable:

1. Locate the startup script (loadpoint/bin/proe-stu.bat)

2. Open the script in a text editor

3. Replace the line: if not %winbootdir% == set mc=i486_win95

With: REM if not %winbootdir% == set mc=i486_win95

4. Save the file.

5. Restart Pro/ENGINEER

Windows XP users should also verify that they have write access to their startup directory. Installation of the Student Edition creates a batch file that sets the loadpoint directory. If Pro/ENGINEER can't create this file due to permissions, the software will not start.

*Note: To install Pro/ENGINEER 2001 on a computer that is running Windows XP the user must have a hard drive that is formatted using the Microsoft NTFS file formatting structure (FAT 16 and FAT 32 are not supported). During the installation of your Pro/ENGINEER 2001 software you must select i486_win95 as well as i486_winnt as your chosen installation platform.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back