Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drw Title Block ’smart’ parameter

BigLew_222

Hi all,

We're almost exclusively a sheet metal operation, still stuck on WF2.0. I'd like to accomplish 2 things (perhaps one belongs in a different forum, if so, apologies): First, I'd like to have a user prompted when creating a new part for the sheet metal gauge (which woud then drive the model material thickness and density), and I'd like that info to automatically populate the correct location in the drawing format.Second, I'd like the title block and mat'l thickness to automatically update if the sheet metal gauge changes.

We'd like a smart parameter that gets entered once whena part is started, and thereafter drives the title block and material thickness. This functionality could be built into a start part if that's the answer - some folks here use start parts, others don't. It could be part of a mapkey which selects the correct start part. I'm sure one way works best - so I'm looking for someone who has already done this.

I have searched PTC.com as well as this site for the answer to my question, unfortunately I have had no luck. Anyone out there doing this (or something like this)?

Thanks in advance,

Hi Big Lew,

Using an appropriate start part is definitely the best solution. Your start part should have the following parameters and relations defined in it:

Paramters:

1. <LI>thickness (a real number with some default value other than 0)</LI>
    <LI>Density (a real number with some default value other than 0)</LI>

Relations:

1. <LI>smt_thikness=thickness</LI>
    <LI>mp_density=densiy</LI>

Don't forget to put the tick mark against these parameters in "Designate" column. This way you can force the user to enter the sheet metal thickness and density in the begining of the modeling process.

A map key is to be created for selecting this part as the "Start Part" for subsequent modeling activities.

You can use these parameters in the drawing format for populating the title block field also.

Special Note: When you create a sheet metal part using this start part, you will be prompted to enter the sheet metal thickness again while creating the first feature. You can accept the default value suggested by Pro E without bothering about the actual thickness to be used. Once the first feature is created just regenerate once, so the desired thickness value is taken into consideration in the model.

Anand

Many thanks, Anand. I will test this method out in the near future. One error in my original question I noticed: I don't need to set a different density for different sheet metal gauges, CRS is CRS and density is defined for a given, known volume (which takes varying gauges out of the picture).

Once again, many thanks.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back