Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

harn references not responding

JFLORES

Not sure if this is a routed or an assembly question. I got an assembly with wiring that I am using in a procees for assydrawing. Some of the wiring is routed thru a deck plate to connections in a couple of batteries.

So Iedited the definition of the deckplateso that I could make a family table to show the deck plate up at 90 deg for the process step that connects the batties.except fortwo independent references it workedas planned.

I now have a generic with the deck plate in finnal position and an instance with the deckplate at90 degrees.My problem is with the generic, all wiring ispositioned corect except for one harness that is still at the 90 degrees (see zipped picture).I opened the harness it self and tried to regenerate but did not fix it. Any ideas on how to fix it? or what I did wrong?

2009-05-07_114126_pic_01.zip

later Jim

instead of pushing the family table to 90 degrees... try to regenerate it to 20 degrees and see if the wires update to that....This problem solving techniqe usualy offers some glims to the potential problem because the wires in this case may start to move incorrectly and from that you can guess the problem.

Bumb the number higher and hopefully you determine where the wires stop updating. Might also simplify the free points used to dig across the assembly. The less free points you use the more robust updates will occur.

Nice looking assembly.

Did you autorout all those with network operations? that could be problematic ... since the autorouted -network ops- 'expressway' (I call it that way because the wires can hop on that expressway and 'network ops' is not a noun) are often placed with free points that will not update with your family table.Next time you have a free hour create a simplistic assembly and lay down a 'network ops' and use edge with respect to how your family table will update and test it to see if the network ops will update.

I bet its that simple.

You will have to share your flat harness drawings with us. Do you specify exactly where your heat shrink stops and starts in your 2d drawing?
Edited by: design-engine

Thanks Bart,

I was not able to fix the problem the nodes were referencing some non existing points kind of like with you delete a portion in the middle and take a different route, the locationsdeleted to still reference a point that is no longer there. When I tried other angles it would move but still be out of wack.

I've been taking this home on a jump drive and was stumped why every version on the drive had been modified, luckley I had a zipped directory of a FRU that used this same harness and it was ok so just coppied over andpurged all bad versions.

I have not yet gotten to auto routing with networks, but planning on it. Going thru the school of hard knocks since my company is not funding and training until 2010. Except for x-sections and family tables not working; I am pretty much happy with how things are coming out. My Pro/Process PDF is too large to attach, 46 pages so far. Attached zip has the first 37 pages. 2009-05-21_124631_1001455MS1_J_1-37.zip

Gottwo more hurdles to over come. Trying to figure out best way to copy some harness curves and trim them for sweeping a strain relief and a spiral wrap that bundles a portion of two separate harness.

later Jim

I have been creating 3D models using "SDRC Ideas" and other less well known software for the last 10 years.....and now PRO-E WF4

What I have found is that, if you set up your Harness assy with all the connectors first then add your clips or cable retainers, then your shields if you have any, there isn't a specific order up till this stage its just my choice.... I then add the bundles into the relevant routes by connecting the first connector to the first clip, 2nd clip, etc.... until I have a route, this tells me several things here..

1) that the clips are either positioned correctly for the harness or not

2) that the route is repeatable and accurate

3) and that i will have a reliable harness structure when manufactured

This method works for me, I was the first 3D CAD harnessEngineer to use this approach on Aston Martin's DB9 and coupled with a good 2D harness designer we had the first AML car to have a harnessthat fitted straight froma first off prototype build :)

So I can't quite understand why anyone would want to put control points in "free air" that are never going to control a harness and will result in a product that is NOT representative to the CAD design, I do understand how frustrating it is to have to deal with these issues as Nissan do it on all of their harnesses... except X61B and H61B facia's/dashpanel :)

Thanks for the info Martrac,

Do you have any routing suggestions for meon harness that do not have any clips or cable retainers (only retained by the connectors)? I am still learning and thought maybe offset from csys might be the best approch, but I am open to any all suggestions.

Being new to Pro/Cable, I was having trouble with this same issue. I have cable tie lances stamped into my sheetmetal that I want my cables to route near. For the 1st route, I was picking one of the vertex on my lance which worked but created an interference. When it came time to add a 2nd route, using the same point made the routes cross unpredictably and I had to pick vertex close to each other after turns to keep the route where I wanted. I decided to create a "wire_route.prt" model (see attached). This model consists of an array of points and axis. I assemble this model along the route I want to take then I select the points and/or axis I want the route to take (axis keep the route tangent). I'm not sure if there is a better way to do this but it seems to work.

2009-10-06_141210_wire_route_model.zip

Hi,

I am also new to PRO-E, however what I have been doing is positioning the connectors on their "mating" halves, deleting the references and "fixing" the connector position, I then use the clipping points that I have added in to the Harness assembly to route through, funnily enough this actually gives a better route than using points as the system determines the best curves, this in turn allows me to adjust clips to suit the requirement.... if you haven't got any clips then how are you going to get a robust, repeatable design ?

My method would be to use an object that the wires / cables connect to as you can move it about....

But like I say any true experts on PRO E out their willing to give some advice :)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back