Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

DIMENSION

HELLO

Right click on the dimension > properties.

Go to the dimension text toolbar, and where you have {0:mad:D} write S (as symbol) instead of D, {0:mad:S}

Type the text you want in the Name below.

This text will appear instead of your dimension

xcad

You can also use the letter O in place of the D or the S as xcad says...it allows you to override a dimension and change the numeric value too. I am not sure that overriding the numerical value is such a great idea but it is a way to allow both a numeric and text change.

Brian D.

How do you do this with Wildfire 3.0? I get an error message. I want to change the value but allow the plus-minus tolerance to still show up.

you don't actually change the value. It just lets you overide the dim value with any sort of text.......this is what you must typ.....@O 36, to overide the dim with the value 36

How about the plus minus tolerance. When I do that, I lose the plus minus tolerance... I know I can just typ : +.005/-.015, just wanted to keep the neat looking plus-minus tolerance (the plus tol above the minus tol).

that is a well kept secret.....At least I think it is?

I'm curious to find out how many people knew about this? Please post a remark if anyone already knew how to do this.

Omar
Edited by: omarhernandez

I've been doing it for at least 10 years but mostly for notes. I try to avoid faking dimensions. Has a way of coming back to haunt you.

Also, shouldn't it be {2:mad:++0.1@#}{3:mad:--0@#} ?

u guys are Awesome!!!

by the way, both formats are correct. I think the @# signifies font style. I ahve something similar in other notations.

again, thx

The reason I have it different than what you have is because I had two positive tolerances, rather that a positive and negative tolerance. (I just copied It from a note in proe without paying attention)

I only use these notes for family table drawings (tabular drawings), since I can't display the tolerance when using the @S. Do you know of a way to actually display the actual tolerance when using a @S?

Note: Hellomoto - you must play with the + and - signs depending on what kind of tol you have.

Omar
Edited by: omarhernandez

Omar,

RE: Tolerances for dimensions in family table.

What I do is I have tolerances in the family table as well and show them on table on the drawing.

Charles,

That's a good idea! I only have one problem. How do you get aviod typing them in manually. Did you create this family table using report parameters or did you create it manually?

Thanks in advance,

Omar

omarhernandez said:
that is a well kept secret.....At least I think it is?

I'm curious to find out how many people knew about this? Please post a remark if anyone already knew how to do this.

Omar

You'll find that a lot of old school Pro/E users know this along with bringing in extended ascii symbols and the code for a "box" around text. Must be thatthis was just the way notes were done back in the day.

hellomoto said:
u guys are Awesome!!!

by the way, both formats are correct. I think the @# signifies font style. I ahve something similar in other notations.

again, thx
The @# signifies default vertical justification. @+ shifts the text up and @- shifts it down. You always have to end a shifted section with @# although Pro/E will throw it in for you at the end if you forget. It will not throw it in if you leave it out in the middle of a string, thus the need for {1:mad:+text@#}{2:mad:-text} to go from shifted up to shifted down.

It is really strange that the shifted down text will appear underneath the shifted up text, logically one would expect it to be off to the right.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back