Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Help making a hinge movement

Rostislav

Hi! I think that this one is really a newbie question, by anyways:

I cant figure out how to make that mechanism to work. I have a cabinett, a door for it and a hinge (made of two parts). In wich order should I connect those in my ASM? And what connection type should I use?

The thing is when I use one half of the hinge on the door and make a "rigid" connection - then I cant "open" or "close" the door.

Hope someone can help me out!

Thanks!

Quick summary:
<ul>[*]Assemble cabinet fully constrained.[*]Assemble one hald of hinge to cabinet, fully constrained.[*]Create a sub assy of the door and the send half of the hinge. THis side of the hinge should be fully constrained in this sub assy[*]Assemble the door sub assy to the cabinet assy. You'll only need 1 connection,a pin connection. This is defined by 2 axes that are coaxial (you can also use 2 cylindrical surfaces) and two planes normal to hte axes to define the position along the axes.[/list]Here's the big thing to understand. Make sure that your refferences for the connection only come from the 2 hings parts, no refs from either assy or other parts. Connection don't work if they refference more than 2 parts. In other words, you need to use the pivot axis of the hinge part and a datum plane from the hinge part. You cannot use the hinge axis and an assembly datum, the connection will not move.

I hope that makes sense.

Thank you!
I thought of that way of solving my problem. But what I wonder then is if it's possible to do the following:
1. Make an ASM of the hinge (both halfs)
2. Make a new ASM where I put in three components - cabinet, hinge and the door.
3. In that Assambley - make the mechanism.
??

In other words: say, I don't know where on the cabinet to place the hinge. Say, it depends on the door location. Is it possible to make the whole mechanism within the head assembley (with all part). I mean, take my cabinet, place the door somewhere near by, and then with the help of the hinge - connect them together?
I hope you understand what I mean.

Thank you again for the answer. That helped a lot. And as I understood - that is the easiest way of making that mechanism.

Actually, I think your way is better, with one significant change.
<ul>[*]Build your hings sub assy and add the mechanism connection between teh parts there.[*]Assemble the cabinet[*]Assemble the hinge to the cabinet using standard constraints between the one side of the hinge and the cabinet. Make sure you are careful to mate/align to the fixed hinge part only.[*]Assemble the door to the hinge. Make sure you are careful to mate/align to the moving hinge part only.[/list]I think that ought to work.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back