Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

RSD - datatable

design-engine

I created an elaborate wiring diagram using RSD7.0 on SH1 of an RSD model. Later I went to add ribbon cables SH2 thru SH4 where conductors connect mother board thru connectors to a daughter board.

Now I have more wires/conductors to specify so I added to my .csv file and reloaded it thru 'select datatable'.Somehow all my other wires/conductors have lost their property values to the old designation.

What causes me to loose my previously assigned property values? I want to track down what I might be doing incorrectly so to make rules for future modifications. Maybe a designer simply needs to have that csv file prepared correctly before hand?
Edited by: design-engine

Bart

For you to be using 'select datatable' implies that you're modifying the cable at the catalog level. Hence if you use a different datatable then any existing datasets will be removed from instances of the cable.

If you have just added new datasets to the datatable CSV file then try reloading the datatable through the datatable explorer and see if the same thing happens.

Also, do you have the $$index$$ field set for each dataset in the datatable? That is how the system decides which dataset to reapply to instances of the cable.

Martin

Hi Bart,

Actually I will be delivering the presentation at PTC User. If you have any questions, then let me know. I look forward to meeting another fellow colleague in the field.

Cassandra Kemp

CeDeL Solutions LLC

Hi Cassandra,

I recognize your name as one of the original hi level users of Pro/CABLE RSD.Zach gave me the whole history lesson of how you guys developed the software. Good to see you on mcad central.

I look forward to meeting everyone at the conference.

Wouldn't it be lovely if SOMEWHERE there was an explaination for what the overall strategies are for making RSD work. Is it datatables? Is it instancing individual entities? Is it using a central catalog which is reusable?

spikemurphy said:
Wouldn't it be lovely if SOMEWHERE there was an explaination for what the overall strategies are for making RSD work. Is it datatables? Is it instancing individual entities? Is it using a central catalog which is reusable?

Did you ever find out ? I know there are people on this forum, who can help but I guess it's their livlihood and so they often won't let on :( personally It only makes me want to change to Solid works or unigraphics...

over all strategies?

The problem i see in industry with respect to RSD is that the electrical engineers are resistant to change. The Pro/ENGINEER administrator sees a benefit of using Pro/CABLE with RSD and tries to educate in house management about the benefits of Pro/CABLE uses with RSD.... but the electrical engineers use some other package and resist the migration to RSD. Most of the reasons I found of not embracing RSD borders upon the fact that humans resist change that RSD seams cumbersome to learn. all typical excuses. Even that RSD is expensive even tho that RSD lite is free with the 3000 dollar Pro/CABLE package.

So to answer you question about work-flow or strategies...

One company will generate their electrical diagrams using Mentor, AutoCAD, or something else and a non degreed draftsman type who knows Pro/CABLE and RSD will quickly rebuild the 2d geometry creating all the logical data with respect to pro/E model connector names. Then the draftsman will generate the Network opps within Pro/ENGINEER. (think of an expressway that has off ramps), import the RSD logical data, check the Auto Designation of the components and modify as necessary in RSD and if necessary re export the logical XML data, create wire or cable from logical references, and rout using auto rout and problem solve as necessary. Then use Pro/MAN to generate the flat cables.

Another work flow I've seen is similar but the electrical engineers will build a prototype without using electrical software and expect the Pro/CABLE draftsman to capture the prototype with RSD then Pro/CABLE and flatten the harnesses using Pro/MAN and Pro/DETAIL.The problem with this workflow is that the draftsman has to nail the exact heat shrink dimensions that the prototype set and that should be the other way around. The drawing sets those tolerances for the prototype.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back