Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Range of Quesions....

design-engine

I have a series of questions related to actual cable and harness design, RSD thru techniqes in Pro/CABLE.

Ill just keep modifying my post till I get an answer posted.

1. How do folks handle striped wires. I have a 14 AWG ground wire with a yellow stripe. Created it in RSD 7.0 and routing in WF3.0 (even I get a contract job sometimes)

2. I got some flex cable (Mylar film) to route and it looks great. Only I routed em all using Autorout from each individual conductor. Looks flat too like a ribbon... How are you guys handling that?

3. Speaking of naming convention. Leave manufacture name in or out of the Pro/E name? Has anyone got a process or plan in place at your work for naming connectors and entering them into your favorite valt systems. Im using intralink. ie. molex_09501031.prtand lets say for example it has six CSO for entry ports is there a convention for naming the entry ports? ENTRY01, ENTRY02, ENTRY03...

if it is an 8 pin inline connector, do you see a problem naming it 0801F.PRT'F' for female.A two by two nylon connector would be 0202F.PRT My idea is to be able to route everything before the EE's decide what connector brand they want to use. If I can manage my naming conventions appropriately they should be able to substitute later.

Edited by: design-engine

Bart,

I have not had any luck with doing striped wires. I do solid clors all the time. As far as entry ports, you are on the right track. I typically name my entry port the same as the pin number on the connector. Pin 1 would be entry_01.

Ray

Thanks... Im trying to set a standard for a specific company... along with creating their library of symbols in RSD that correspond to various items.

I was playing with the import functions the other day... with respect to creating title blocks....

Another Question. Related to twisting.I know how to get wires to twist in a cable... I will play with it more to get 10 twists over 12 inches. Apparently the twists help in noise or something. Now we are going to twist multiple sets of wires together. For example I have a six pin connector with three sets of two wires. One set powers a fan while another powers a switch and another a horn. Those individual wires need to be shown twisted in the mfg drawing and in the assembly drawing.I have a couple ideas on how but... any ideas?Then in a mfg drawing. I love challenges but ...

One idea is to use two separate autorout tracks that loops. But how can I control which autorout path for the wire to take? I wonder if hide would work?hide one and run autorout then hide/unhide to get the other.

Does anyone come up with challenges like this?

You can control how wires should be auto routed through locations. You can set locations to be primary/secondary/required.ect

Be careful with taking wires to individual coordinate systems in ProE. I you take every wire to its unique csys, you will spend/waist a lot off time when flattening the harness. The connector will be assembled to the first pin and then you will have to manually move the other wires to the correct pins. IF you are going to put a bundle over the wires up to the end you wont even see all the wire in any case. The 2d scematic already shows detailed pin to pin information. why waist time in creating exactly the same thing again for the manufacturing harness. You can take it all to a single csys on the connector. This would however only apply if you are only routing wires with some sort of shielding/braiding/covering over it. Sometimes you do want to go the individual pins, but I would not recomment that.

Be carefull of trying to symilate twisted wires in a harness. If you are doing it to get the right wire lengths, then you are waisting time as well. It all depends on what happens in real life, and you cannot reproduce that on cadd. Take 20 wires for instance that needs to follow a specific route. your WIRE-1 can be on the inside of the bundle in cadd. If the guy that needs to manufacture it, cuts the wire to be the same as you lenght, and then position it to the outside of the bundle, his wire would be too short. You can rotate a location to show it to be twisted when it is one continues harness, but it is not going to be easy you have wires branching of to different locations in your assembly. What weve done before was to add 20mm to the wire stripped length to compensate for the twist. depending on the length of twist.

To control the colour of a wire. you need to have the same name in your spool and for the colour in the appearance file. example. If red is specified in the spool, and red is specified in the colours file, then all the wires using this spool should have the red colour assigned to them. Be carefull of black, id you use black wires, you wont see them on the black background in drawing mode. You can use a colour called black, but make the actuall colour to be more like a graying colour to see it on the drawing, or change the drawing background colour.

I havent tried it yet, but maybe it will work if you apply an image to a colour that has a line through it. like a red square block with a white line through it.

What typical notes would apply for a wiring diagram to show twisted wires? and since I can't show a yellow stripe on my conductor, what would you call a spool in RSD to designate the striped green ground wire? I could tag it with an annotation I suppose.

18_grn < my name for an 18gage wire that is green.
18_grn_yel_stripe < maybe?

I specify blk and it references a dark grey color in the appearance editor.

Also in Wikipedia the call out for a 22AWG wire conductor diameter is .644 mmIs that without the insulation? I suppose that if I route those thru a Pro/E assembly I would want to add too that to account for the plastic insulation of the wire? Just curious how you guys handle that?

You can add a column to your csv file that can contain Wire color description. This value will then be a parameter in the ProE spool file that gets created on the import. You can then report the spool parameters for every wire in a repeat region.

The value for thickness in your spool file must be total outside thickness. (wires + insulation)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back