Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro-E to Catia v4 translation

lance_lie

Has anyone encountered a translation problem, converting proe to catia v4. We have a outside firm convert the files to Catia v4, but then our customer is having a big problem opening the catia files. Could some one share some suggestions.

We also have a customer with Catia v4 and have had all sorts of problems. Data has to go in both directions.

One problem area is STEP 203. If using STEP make certian its STEP 214 format. (this is now std on 2001 so shouldn't be a problem). Another thing:- make certian the Translation company talks to your customer and gets their Catia settings...co-ordinate settings are the worry area...thats why we don't use a third party now....too much hassele. Hope this helps.

We also have a customer with Catia v4 and have had all sorts of problems. Data has to go in both directions.

One problem area is STEP 203. If using STEP make certian its STEP 214 format. (this is now std on 2001 so shouldn't be a problem). Another thing:- make certian the Translation company talks to your customer and gets their Catia settings...co-ordinate settings are the worry area...thats why we don't use a third party now....too much hassele. Hope this helps.

Lance_lie,

We send data to our customer (Daimler Chrysler) on a regular basis. Within Pro/E there is a data translator to Catia (purchased separately of course) where Pro will export a Catia Direct or .model file. I'm not sure how much we paid for this extra module but it was well worth the price for us to pay with all the problems we were having with STEP files to Catia.

Greg

Gentlemen,

CADCAM-E (www.cadcam-e.com) has a direct Pro/E-CATIA translator that can handle data conversion between these 2 systems. Besides, we have a large services group that can handle all the formatting requirements of your customers. Please contact our sales department at 248-932-5295 for more information.

Thank you,

Kumar Rajan

Have you tried the IGES format?? It's pretty accurate in transfering the models from ProE - Catia and vice-versa. I found it better than STEP in many cases.

-Rishi

Within Pro-E ther is a function now -save-as; CATIA direct (*.model) and I'm almost positive this is not a separate module that you have to buy. I send and retrieve data to and from Daimler Chrysler almost daily with no issues. Remember though these files will have no parametric functionality.

I swap Catia files with Daimler Chrysler using the .exp extension. I export an iges or step depending on how good the file is and then it is converted to an exp file with Catia.

Autoweb wont accept it any other way.

Mike

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back