Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

bundle not showing in drawing

JFLORES

Hello to all,

I created a drawing which has both the 3D cable assy and the flat(mfg) harness assy. then I when back into the 3D cable and added a bundle to represent a short lengthof shrink tubing.

When routing the bundle I used a csys wherea couple of individual conductors route thru. I did not have a location to use where the tubbing ends so I used a free location on an axis that is used to route the whole cable.

In the 3D cable the tubbing looks great just like the actual cable. but it does not show up in the Flat harness assy. So I think to myself maybe I need to lay it out, but when I select the free location on the axis; it tells me that I can not layout locations that are not used in routing the cable/wires.

My question is: do I need to go back and add a location to the routing or am I doing some else wrong? hoping not to add a location becuase the axis is used to route the cable thru a conduit that retains it to a casting. The tubing just happens to end somewhere in the middleof theconduit.

Any help would be very much appriciated. Trying to teach myself cabling and having just a few troubles. currently just using manual routing, will dive into RSD lite after I hammer out the few troubles.

Thanks Jim

I have to read your post a few times. To route your sheath you go from one location on the cable/wire to another 'location' on the cable or wire. I usually use offset relative to the entry port 15mm or .5 inches. That is where my sheath will start or stop. The same for the other side. Some of the tutorials Ive seen out there get it only half right... in that they don't reference the specific CSO of the closest connector.

Ive had some strange problems with drawings in the past ... lines not showing up correctly etc... but not the never a problem with the sheath not showing up... sometimes wires bulging out or flat looking a little odd.Post a picture of the harness with the sheath in both states.

I go back and add location all the time. With cabling everything is in hind site so there is your power of Pro/CABLE. Go back later and add a location for a cable tie or a service loop, or to give a place for your sheath to start or stop.

good luck and post an image for us to help.
Edited by: design-engine

Thanks Bart,

S2009-02-20_103413_bundle_problem.ziporry about the difficulty in understanding my posting, I'll try to clear it up here. I suspected that the only solution is to go back and add a location. attached here is the dwg and a snagit of the harness with its skeleton features.

In the dwg isometric view you can see the tubbing on the end where the three conductors exit the cable. I woild like to see it over in the flat view where balloon find number 6is attached. Notice I am also having trouble with the marker updating when the flat was made the marker just said "LABEL", since then I redefined it to a part number and name as seen in the iso view but regen has no effect on the flat harness marker

In the picture you can see the csys CS0 it is offset and in line with axis A-1. The csys is used to bring the conductors out stright brfore they turn toward thier destinations, that was they do not break out of the shrink tubibg. I was having bulging problems and conductor visualization was not very realistic so I added a couple of points (loc1 7 loc2) offset from the csys. in routing the bundle I statred at cs0 and picked a free point about the middle of Axis A-1.

In order to show the tubing Why don't you just add another bundle on top of the existing one. Use a tube type sheating spool for this

do what alibahadir said. Add another short bundle segment over the existing one.

Or

If you've added it as a physical part to the harness and want to show it on the flattened harness, do the following. After its assembled, make sure that you have a location of the harness that actually references this new part. example. redefine a location to be on the csys of this new part. Do not add a new location redefine an existing one. If you add a new one, you will have to redo that segment of the flat state.

One the location has been redefine to reference new part. Click on components, attach to harn, and then select the new part.

Why all this ?
when you create a harness in proe, it will only take connector that have been designate to the flat state. any other parts that you want to show, needs to be referenced and attached to the harness before you start the flattening proccess.

Thanks Mstols,

I accentlystumbled across the attach prior to flatening when I was having problems getting a back shell to show up. got so feed up that I started it over and it work like it should have. lots of fun times trying to learn an application like cabling and ecad on your own.

I think I try your suggestion and and attch as a separat part, that way I could neck it down the outsidel diameter where some of the conductors are timmed off.

I am courious as to why Alibahadir's suggestion of adding another short bundle over the exisiting would work when the first one does not show up. Iwill finally have timethis week to give it a shot also.

later Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back