Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

hypershot with pro e questions

sellandj

Hi there,

I am looking into using hypershot. i am playing with the trial version but it doesnt work with pro because i am on a floating licence. so i am currently playing with step files so they will import. however, with this it seems that you can only give material colors to the entire parts only and not to surfaces on parts.

so my question is, if it was correctly installed to work with the floating license, can you color surfaces on parts (more than one color on one part)?

thanks

The correct way is to export with the surfaces already coloured in Pro/E. It doesn't actually matter what colour they are, just that they have a different colour assigned to them. Hypershot will pick this up during import and then you will be able to select the surfaces separately on the part. Be warned though - the import doesn't always work correctly and the colour asignments can become lost / messed up. This is the olny method available in Hypershot at the moment.

ok thanks. now for my question, does anybody know of any way to use hypershot with a floating license of pro/e? i dont have a computer with a local license.

When exporting to hypershot I usually convert parts in .obj format. As pjw said you have to assign "materials" (as surface colors) before exporting. I tested the pro-engineer plugin but it's only marginally useful because it is not much more than a shortcut to the import function.

I have just had the same issue and if you call Bunkspeed they will give you the plugin for PROe which allows you to just click a button in Proe and hypershot opens the file and recognizes most functionality if not all. Don't know if this helps

ok, so i have the trial version up and running with pro/e. i have an assembly of several hundred parts and when i try to render it (from pro) it crashes and never starts hypershot. anybody have this trouble?

Have you tried exporting the assy in wavefront format (.obj) and importing it in Hypershot without using the plugin?

no I have not. My plugin works like a dream. I have had great customer service from Hypershot/ Bunkspeed. Give them a shot.

Sorry Patrick, my post was for Sellandj, maybe the crash when using large assemblies is caused by the plugin conversion from native pro|E to a tassellated format... converting directly in OBJ inside pro|e allows you to skip that step and check if Hypershot in itself can manage such a large assembly...

i am trying to output as obj but pro doesnt seem to want to output assemblies to obj files. it asks me to select groups for export but when i select parts nothing happens....

What version of Pro|E are you using?

In WF 2, 4 and 5 (could not check with 3) the export window has an "Add.." and an "All" button, just click "All", then select a plane for UV mapping. Be sure to tweak chord height and Angle control to suit your needs, you can preview the effect pressing "Apply".

AFAIK the "Add..." button does not work with the top level assembly, so if for some reason you don't have the "all" button you'll have to pick each subassembly or create a fake assembly.

Hope this helps

Paolo

Hi All,

Can I just say that not been able to select a surface within Hypershot shows you what level of detail the product is aimed at i.e. part models and assemblies that you can control the colours of individual parts i.e. cars, etc.

If this is a really great product, which everybody says it is, then why isnt this functionality within the software?

You shouldnt have to be changing the surfaces within the 3D CAD system before putting it into Hypershot, this is only wasting time on your time and as they say time = money

Regarding the floating license, as your IT department If you can borrow the license for XXX amount of time, If they say yes then please run PTC BORROW from the Pro E install Directory. Usually C:\PTC\proeWildfire 5.0\bin

Can I just say that the ARX (Advanced Rendering Extension) has totally been re overhauled within Pro Engineer Wildfire 5.0 and is cleared alot better.

If your a current maintenance customer then you can download Pro Engineer Wildfire 5.0 you will have to update your license aswell. But it is well worth it not just for the Rendering but for the other updates.

I have can the Hypershot with an asembly of about 200 components and it isnt to bad, but there is some floors when you start to get deep into the software.

But after all these is bugs with every software, so please make youe own decision.

I will be uploading some sample images of what Ihave produced in WF5.0 If anybody else has some please see free to post them aswell.

Hypershot is a "young" product, and it's o mistery that it is primarily aimed at car rendering... That said, I don't miss too much the possibility to address single surfaces within Hypershot, what I really miss is a "tree" for the assembly, so that I can easily access parts without hiding/showing. That said, probably Mental Ray is a better quality rendering, perhaps Fryrender or Maxwell render are better than Ray itself, being unbiased, but the feeling of realtime rendering with Hypershot is impossible to beat in many situations...

Paolo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back