Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cable Routing question

larry-o_1

I often need to wrap wiresaround cylinders or hold a bend radius.I usually need to create pointsand "connect the dots" to do this.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Is it possible to be able to follow a Datum Curve ? I've tried looking for a way and cant. Any suggestions ?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks</DIV>
<DIV>(I am self-taught)</DIV>

Hi Larry,

I usually teach the use of top down design utilizing surfaces in space (outside a heat shield for example) with an intersection (a curve) for a cable to route. Then Ill use a 'network' path (red/purple dashed lines) for a cable route to follow thru the curves.

If you wanted to hold a 4" bend radius you can make that setting in the spool file.... combined with the top down method above to guarantee your minimum bend radius.

kaw605.jpg

cant see the autoroute-able dashed line in this picture due to shading on. But notice the Transparent green surface. On that surface rests the 'network opps' for the cables and wires to follow.

kawrsd01.jpg

This image is the RSD file that is used to auto route the wires.Notice the Splices are not showing in the lamp assembly yet.

These screen shots are a part of my Abstract for speaking at the PTCUSER conference in Orlando BTW.
Edited by: design-engine

Hi Bart,

OK, sounds like it is possible. However is do not have an RSD file.

What I am attempting in this model is to loop a piece of fiber optic. I set the min bend rad to 1.00 inches the spool. The length I need to loop is 10.81 inches.

By adding 3 points to the Curve I still "fall off" the shape I desire. I suppose I can add many more points, but that seems counter productive to me. I have also tried to FIX the length, but that made it lop-sided.

Thanks,

Larry-O

Larry,

let me first say welcome to the fourm. This Routed Systems part of mcad central is up till this year no much more than people looking for tutorials sometimes.

In this case I would create the exact datum curve you desire. To get that curve... Extrude a surface in the oval shape and extrude a surface in the perpendicular direction so to get an intersection using Intersect. 'Edit' 'Intersect' from the menue. Intersect the two surfaces to get a datum curve. Kinda like a two projection curve but I like to see the surfaces.

Then use a network to dig across the curve. Overlapping at the base like you did. (you can skip this step because your model is so simple and your probably not using RSD) Use follow location to create your fiber optics line dig-ing every couple inches using the 'location' option when dig-ing.
. How many lines are you doing? If you doing more than one line you should route it automatically using an RSD type utility.

you will not get the wable if you use follow location to a 'network ops' but this tool is used more for auto routing. You can do it by hand tho.

I bet i can't ask what that is.I am working on a fiber optic light for medical this month.

after lunch ill re-create your project.

I recreated you fiber optics exercise .... and am showing screen shots here.

fiberoptics02.jpg

notice the purple dashed line. That is the 'network ops' where in the next screen shot the wire (fiber01) follows.

fiberoptics01.jpg

Notice the end connectors. Fiber optics strands are .0005 in diameter. I left mine larger so we can see
the darn thing.

fiberoptics03.jpg

this is a surface with some datum curves to assist in placing the connectors.

I am controlling the ring with relations in the part above so circumference can change.I am constrained to 12" wire length and 1" Radius

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back